Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter

the system it's in is typically used for internet browsing and folding..

Oh, ok. We (girlfriend and I) spent a bit of time finding a suitable A/B card for her dad's build. We ended up getting a USB linksys A/B for cheap (our primary requirement) and battling getting the drivers working. We finally succeed with some other manufacturer's drivers :cheers:

I will be very happy when everything is just x64. :whistling: Wireless drivers were the only trouble I've really had...

Oh, ok. We (girlfriend and I) spent a bit of time finding a suitable A/B card for her dad's build. We ended up getting a USB linksys A/B for cheap (our primary requirement) and battling getting the drivers working. We finally succeed with some other manufacturer's drivers cheers.gif

I will be very happy when everything is just x64. whistling.gif Wireless drivers were the only trouble I've really had...

Yea, I had one of the usb ones and had the same problem.. it would work for a while then stop and you would have to mess around with it to get it working for a while. I got tired of that and got a pci one which hasent given me any trouble as of yet :)

I can recommend the d-link dwa-140 usb, its windows 7 x64 compatible, had it working for 3 months withouth a problem.

Alright, I'll change that in my Newegg wishlist.

I'm keeping track of parts there because it calculates a price in addition to having links to descriptions of the product, etc.

Alright, I'll change that in my Newegg wishlist.

I'm keeping track of parts there because it calculates a price in addition to having links to descriptions of the product, etc.

Nice choice on the CPU cooler, my NH-U12P is awesome

That's a good thing. :D

I was thinking of Going with the D14, but it was too big for my tastes. Effective? Yes. Practical for me? No. :P

As someone who went with a 1366 setup I'd much prefer this build which has eyefinity to my current build which probably costed me a bit more.

Alternately if you want nvidia you can get two 470s/480s since one 400 only supports two displays.

I have no need for a multi-monitor setup. And yes, I plan on going with an NVIDIA build. I was going to use ATI, but then Fermi came out. Note that I do still find the 5--- series appealing, just that I find Fermi more appealing at this point in time.

And would you really recommend the i5-750 over the i7-930...? Or is that mainly because of the fact that this is a gaming rig, and the 930 would kind of be a wasted cost?

I have no need for a multi-monitor setup. And yes, I plan on going with an NVIDIA build. I was going to use ATI, but then Fermi came out. Note that I do still find the 5--- series appealing, just that I find Fermi more appealing at this point in time.

And would you really recommend the i5-750 over the i7-930...? Or is that mainly because of the fact that this is a gaming rig, and the 930 would kind of be a wasted cost?

I have a 930 and find it to be wasted cost for my purposes of gaming, light video editing and pretty much anything I do, but I won't be shocked if you find the 930 more appealing still, it is pretty awesome and its fun to crush cpu oriented tasks but if I could redo it I'd get a i5-750, but I'm mainly recommending to you the 750 from my experience and that I imaging you'll mostly be gaming.

Yes, I mostly will be gaming. That and web browsing, schoolwork, and I guesss just general computer usage.

However, in comparison, the i5-750 would still crush CPU related tasks. My first computer (that I used up until about 2 years ago) had an 800MHz Pentium II. Then I got this laptop with an Intel T5450 at 1.6GHz.

So... A 2.66GHz processor that can turbo up to 3.2(?) will be a major upgrade for me, haha.

OK! I updated the build in the first post.

Sorry to dig this up and post more than once in a row, but my budget took a hit since I accidentally destroyed my brother's Samsung Omnia. -.- I have to purchase him a new one for shelf price... So yeah. OOPS! MY BAD, BRO! :whistling:

Thus, could someone please suggest me some "guts" to use for an AMD/GTX470 build that's ~$1100?

If my paycheck's big enough, though, I'll still be doing an i5 build.