Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

I'd check to make sure that nothing is behind the motherboard that shouldn't be. All the standoffs are secured, no loose wires are touching anything, nothing could be causing a short. Check to make sure the 24 pin connector is plugged in all the way and the proper way. Make sure the 8 pin connector is fully in and not ever so slightly out of the socket. Make sure the connectors for the power and reset switches are installed in the proper place and a positive isn't in a negative.

Also, be sure to hold the bare metal of the case with both of your hands for about 10 seconds to make sure no static charge is built up in it. Sounds weird but trust me, it can work.

Just jokin it up a bit Miek. I doubt you would have gotten 15 pages if you werent a kool guy that players wanted to help. If i could only be so lucky.

What BP said about your current problem,, and heres my suggestion. When putting it all together in your Case,, just put the bare essentials in first and try it at every additional step. Dont hook up all your peripherals at once either... initially just Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

So MB,Ram, and your Vid Card and CD/DVD unit. If it fires up then install your OS and then initial Drivers for Mobo,and Video and Internet Connection thats it. Then just add one thing at a time. Good Luck.

I'd check to make sure that nothing is behind the motherboard that shouldn't be. All the standoffs are secured, no loose wires are touching anything, nothing could be causing a short. Check to make sure the 24 pin connector is plugged in all the way and the proper way. Make sure the 8 pin connector is fully in and not ever so slightly out of the socket. Make sure the connectors for the power and reset switches are installed in the proper place and a positive isn't in a negative.

Also, be sure to hold the bare metal of the case with both of your hands for about 10 seconds to make sure no static charge is built up in it. Sounds weird but trust me, it can work.

The wires for my front panel (like power, reset, etc) aren't labeled + or -. How can I tell which is which? Should I connect directly to the MOBO or use the little labeled header that was included?

And about static discharge- I have an antistatic wristband, but I'll do that as well just in case. :P

Just jokin it up a bit Miek. I doubt you would have gotten 15 pages if you werent a kool guy that players wanted to help. If i could only be so lucky.

What BP said about your current problem,, and heres my suggestion. When putting it all together in your Case,, just put the bare essentials in first and try it at every additional step. Dont hook up all your peripherals at once either... initially just Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

So MB,Ram, and your Vid Card and CD/DVD unit. If it fires up then install your OS and then initial Drivers for Mobo,and Video and Internet Connection thats it. Then just add one thing at a time. Good Luck.

I have all my drivers and such installed. I did that while the MOBO was sitting on the box (which it actually still is). I did the incremental build as outlined in the "How to successfully build a computer" thread at the top of this section. :P

I'm going to start putting it all in the case again in a bit, connecting on the the core components at first. Oh, and one thing I think I should mention- The way my video card is, my case's tool-less expansion bay system can't hold it because the bracket doesn't close. I have to use screws, though screws may well be more secure anyhow. It's like this because the ENGTX460 has a weird little "jut-out" that holds the shroud on.

OK. I'm doing a bit more cable management as I install things before I wire up the front panel. One of the wires for the rear fan on my NH-U12P is touching (ever so slightly) a few of its fins. Is that bad? Or is that OK?

Also the USB and 1394 cables from my front panel (as they are too stiff and too short to tuck away anywhere) are currently resting on top of the PSU (the PSU fan points down, drawing air from beneath the case). Is this bad or is it OK?

Sorry if any of these questions make me seem paranoid... Well, who am I kidding? I am paranoid. XD It's my first build and I think it's a given that I'm nervous even though it's assembled and running. Well, except for the eSATA from the front panel. See below.

EDIT: Success! The LED's and switches are wired up and working! now to connect USB, 1394, etc.

Do I just plug my eSATA from the front panel into one of my SATA ports?

Some Random Thoughts

I love my case, but I found the cables from my PSU and devices- even the ones from the front panel as well- simply weren't flexible enough to get really good cable management. My current cable management job will work and doesn't really inhibit airflow, but it doesn't really look... professional, I guess. I suppose that as long as it's not obstructing fans or airflow it's a good thing, right?

Oh, and I found that, when in the case, I get better temps using only ONE fan on my NH-U12P. I'm guessing this is because the rear fan was mildly inhibiting the airflow rather than helping it. However, I think that the rear 140(?)mm and top 200mm case fans will help nicely.

The difference going from 2 fans to 1 fan was only about a 3 deg. C drop, but I think it was worth mentioning.

I had to install my ODD in the second slot from the top because the wires from the fan controller were in the way, hanging down somewhat. No big deal, as I will *maybe* only ever have 2 ODD's installed at once.

_

Aaannnddd... This very line of text- yes, this one you're reading right now- is being edited into my post using my newly assembled PC. :) I feel kind of proud of myself, ESPECIALLY in the sense that I didn't screw anything up and/or break something. I'm also glad that nothing died during shipping. Though I have to admit that it took longer than I'd hoped it would- Two full days from parts in boxes to PC sitting on my desk.

I'm sorry I didn't do a worklog, but I could not find a camera in the house that worked. However, when or if I find a camera, I will post pics of the final rig and then ask for suggestions regarding cable management to give it a cleaner, more refined look... Not that it's easy to see through the mesh side, but it's always nice to have good cable management.

I'm not sure what was causing everything to not work the first time around, but it seems smooth now.

Edited by Miek

My computer's assembled, but there's just a couple things I'm wondering:

1. When I hit reset, it powers off without shutting down Windows and then boots up again normally. Is that normal?

2. When I tell the computer to sleep, everything does what you'd expect except for the case fans and MOBO- The fans stay spinning and lit up, and the MOBO stays lit up as well.

I have cables touching or very close to my heatsink, haven't noticed any problems. Glad to hear its all up and running though!

Whenever I hit the rest button on my case, it all shuts down and then boots up again. But before Windows loads it present the "Windows did not shut down properly, would you like to boot into safe mode?" screen.

As for sleep mode, the case fans should power down and stop spinning, though I do believe the mobo LEDs will stay lit.

Thanks for the responses.

My computer also displays that "Windows did not shut down succesfully... etc..." screen when I hit reset.

I think I've found why my fans keep spinning- They're connected directly to my PSU and bypass the MOBO. Maybe the PSU still runs during sleep mode to keep the components powered but not running? Although when the PC turns off, it would technically still have current going through it but the fans don't spin or light up when the PC is off.

I have a workaround for now, though. I can turn the fan speed all the way down and the LED's off. The fans become almost inaudible when they're cranked down.

Something's also up with my power options. I have "Turn off the display - NEVER" and "Put the computer to sleep - NEVER" set. However, after 15 minutes, the display still goes off and after 20 the computer sleeps. How do I fix this?

Also: Is it better to leave the computer on all the time or shut it down at night when I'm not using it?

Edited by Miek

I've always been a fan of leaving the PC on all night, especially when you factor in low power states for the processor and video card. Less of a strain for it to be on always then always having to turn it on each day.

When you adjust the power saving features in Windows, are you hitting Apply after each change? I'd recommend to have the monitor turn off after a while to conserve the backlight.

Nothing like feeling proud about your accomplishment there Miek. You feel good everytime you sit down and hit the "On" button. Also you most likey will feel alot better about fixing a problem when it arrises. Welcome to the Club.

I don't think I'm a full member yet. I haven't overclocked (yet). :P I will once I'm sure I have this thing 100% stable.

And about the monitor not shutting off: I have that power plan for watching movies because I hate it when I'm watching a movie and all of a sudden the screen goes black on me. I normally keep the power plan set to "Balanced." I installed some Windows Updates and the problem seems to be resolved. :)

OK, I noticed something else about this sleep issue my PC is having.

When I tell it to sleep everything goes normally except that the fans don't stop spinning and stay lit up. I also just noticed that the activity LED's on my motherboard don't go out either except for the HDD activity LED. And on top of that, the power LED on my case stays fully lit up and does not go off and on like every other PC in sleep mode that I've ever seen.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Whenever I put my computer in sleep mode (rarely), the LEDs on the front panel come on and stay on. I basically attribute it to a CM design strategy and its nothing to worry about. Its normal Miek, stop freaking out. :lol: