My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Miek

For the fan for the heatsink, that is perfectly fine that it uses only 3 pins. Noctua provides a blue and black (I think) adapters that will further reduce the RPM of the fan instead of using the 4 pin PWM header on the motherboard. Its perfectly fine.

For the RAM, put it in the same colored slots. So have two sticks in both black slots and it will run in dual channel. So yes, have it in slot 1 and 3 and you will be good to go.

Also, french onion soup is disgusting. :lol:

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, the soup was OK. Not great, but edible. :P

OK, now questions about the front panel connections:

My MOBO included little extension things that can plug onto JFP1 and JFP2. They are nicely labeled to make it easier. However, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the front panel connections. CM did not label + or - wires. :(

Please help me, haha. I'm currently at a standstill.

EDIT: I *THINK* I have the activity LED's wired up correctly, as well as the power and reset switches. However, I noticed that JFP2 is unused now. Is that normal?

Also I've found that the USB leads from the front panel won't stay plugged in, disconnecting with the slightest nudge.

Can anyone please help me? I've been putting this thing together for 5 hours now and I really don't want to get frustrated. I want it running stress tests tonight.

Edited by Miek

Haha, the soup was OK. Not great, but edible. :P

OK, now questions about the front panel connections:

My MOBO included little extension things that can plug onto JFP1 and JFP2. They are nicely labeled to make it easier. However, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding the front panel connections. CM did not label + or - wires. :(

Please help me, haha. I'm currently at a standstill.

EDIT: I *THINK* I have the activity LED's wired up correctly, as well as the power and reset switches. However, I noticed that JFP2 is unused now. Is that normal?

Also I've found that the USB leads from the front panel won't stay plugged in, disconnecting with the slightest nudge.

Can anyone please help me? I've been putting this thing together for 5 hours now and I really don't want to get frustrated. I want it running stress tests tonight.

Some front panel connections won't matter. Switches don't have a polarization. LED's do (they're diodes), but just simply won't run with the wires swapped. It shouldn't hurt them :P

Are the USB cables in tension (taught?). You may be able to hold them in place with a zip tie to something nearby like a larger power cable. If you're lucky, some came with the case or power supply.

I got them to stay. I had them on the headers, but they hadn't "clicked." Kind of like when you shut a door partially and the latch that opens when you turn the knob isn't all the way in the slot. They're secure now, though. I'm still going to zip-tie them for cable management purposes.

New question, though. My front panel audio is now doing the same thing as my USB headers except that this time they won't "click" at all. My audio chipset is "Realtek ALC889" which should use the HD Audio connector right? As in not AC'97? Or does the front panel use AC'97?

EDIT: I managed to get the HD Audio connector attached to JAUDIO. It took a little bit of sideways motion, wiggling I guess you could call it.

And about the zip-ties: A bunch of them came with the case, and a bunch also came with the PSU. I'm armed to the teeth for cable management. :P

Edited by Miek

Yeah, use HD Audio for the motherboard header for the front panel sound. Sometimes the headers don't click while others do, just depends. So long as it is secure you should be good.

You can never have enough zip ties. :lol:

Hmm... My 24 pin power connector seems really stiff. It's going to be a trick getting this tucked out of the way. Oh, and I'm using all 8 pins for the CPU power connector because that's the only option the PSU had.

It's not totally out of sight but I think It'll do. What about cable management for the HSF? The cables aren't really long enough to hide anywhere. As it stands, they're just kind of hanging there, below the HSF kind of toward the front of the case. I don't think they're interfere with airflow much. When I find a camera (or if) I'll start posting some pics.

Where should I plug in my eSATA from the front panel?

OK, about my fan controller: PWR_IN is a male molex connector. It looks like

[ o o x x ]

where the o means there's a pin that power could flow through and x means there's simply nothing there.

The molex cables included with my PSU look like

[ o o o o ]

and are female, meaning that all for slots are occupied by some kind of power connection.

Will the molex from me PSU work with me fan controller even though the controller has two "slots" missing?

Edited by Miek

I have the "vitals" installed. I'm going to attempt to boot into the BIOS.

*crosses fingers*

EDIT: I've never been so disappointed. >.<

:( to the max! I push power on the case... Nothing. Power on the MOBO? More nothing. I was meticulous. I did the whole MOBO on the box incremental build. Needless to say, I'm REALLY disappointed. Somebody with expertise please help.

All the connections are good. I checked as I went along. The PSU is on, connected to the wall. Everything's got power going to it... I just don't know.

I essentially followed the guide at the top of this forum to the letter. :(

Could someone please help? I really don't want a $1700 paperweight.

*SIGH*

I guess Now I'm going to start disassembling this thing and starting from square one. AGAIN.

OK, the yellow LED means "standby."

EDIT: So far, so good. I have Windows up and running, though my "rig" is a MOBO on a box with my GTX460 in it, my optical drive, and my HDD. Windows installed BLAZINGLY fast though. :D

I'll run some stress tests tomorrow and if all goes well, I'll try putting it all in the case again. This is the second build I've done today haha. I'm going to power down and sleep.

Edited by Miek

What can I say? I'm indecisive. Nothing lit on fire or shut off while I was sleeping, so I'm guessing it's stable.

New problem, though. Everything works fine on its own, but when I load it all into the case, it doesn't even turn on.

Edited by Miek