Miek

My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Just relax dude, just relax. There will always be some anxiety when anything is ordered online but once you get everything and its all in good condition, you'll be fine. Just take a deep breath, think about how awesome everything will be when its all installed and working, and just relax.

For the side panel, are there any screws or anything that can be installed to make sure its secure?

Nope, it just slides in and has thumbscrews holding it on through the back. I dropped it because it took more force than I anticipated to remove and kind of slid down along the case and fell onto the floor fan-down. The fan looks fine, but the LED connection for the fan came apart at the breakaway (hence the word breakaway *sigh of relief*).

On a more happy note, the rest of my parts arrived today! :biggrin::thumbsup:

I'm going to do an inspection for any damages.

I don't think I'm going to start building tonight or even doing the MOBO on the box stability testing. I think I'm going to wait until I have some days off in a row. Not to mention that if I build tonight I'll probably be up late when there aren't many people on to help me (and being a first time builder, I KNOW I'll need help :P).

I had no idea the heatsink was so HUGE without seeing it in real life. I think it's going to cool like a beast, especially on the i5.

EDIT: Nothing looks to be damaged.

Edited by Miek

Stop being paranoid and just build it!! :)

You can do it! You don't need lots of time lumped together to do it. Probably an hour to get the bare components assembled and tests runnin (like memtest86+) Then you leave it alone for 8 hours and do something else. After that, install windows, test some more (walk away...do something else). Then is another hour or two to put it in the case and do wire management.

It's really not bad...

I'll have to do it tomorrow if I do it soon. I work today in 3 hours so I can't do it today.

I echo Nate's opinion and just build it! :P The longest its taken me to get everything built and assembled into the case is about an hour, so once you do definitely run Memtest and Intel Burn Test to make sure everything is stable at the stock speeds.

The side panel sounds similar to the one on my HAF 932. It does take a bit to pop off but keep a hold of it! Once you get it back on, use the thumb screws to keep it on.

OK, one of the people that I work with volunteered to take my shift over today.

Thus, I can begin to build. But I still can't find a camera. :( Well, one that works anyway.

I've actually mounted the HDD in the case already because it was the only component that didn't have a formal package and I was scared of it getting damaged. Just from that though, I already like this whole tool-less thing. :D

I think I'm going to follow the guide made by Crazy_Nate that's pinned in this section. If I have questions, I will post them. But other than that, I think I'm going to make myself a PC!

Just one thing to start: The first thing is putting the processor into the socket and then attaching the HSF. What method should I use for applying thermal paste to my i5?

I have the NH-U12P SE2 + Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

EDIT: OK, one more delay. I'm going to go out tonight to see one of my friends before he heads off for school. It's the last time I'll see him, so the PC can wait one more night.

Edited by Miek

How do I create the bootable CD for Memtest? I only have a stack of CD-R's on hand. Will they work?

EDIT: Maybe I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon, after work. I'll probably get more responses then because everyone won't be in bed.

I installed the IO shield plate because... Well... I was bored and I guess that's one less thing to do later I guess.

Edited by Miek

OK, thanks. I have some more questions:

For the CPU, should I use a 4 pin or 8 pin connection?

It looks like the drivers on the MSI page are exactly the same as the one on the disc (pertaining to age). Should I just use the disc? The disc has a neat little utility for installing everything.

EDIT: Nevermind about the method for applying the paste- I'm going to use the vertical line.

Despite the packaging, there was dust on the base of my HSF. Fortunately, I have a soft, lint free lens cloth for classes that I can use to gently brush the dust away.

EDIT2: I noticed some flakes falling off of the mirror finish. :( Just a couple of tiny ones, though. Should I be worried?

OK, the HSF is on and it looks like it's good. However, I guess I'll see when I start it up...

Now to move on.

EDIT3: I have the CPU in the socket, the HSF installed, and one stick of RAM in.

Edited by Miek

I've always used the 8 pin connector for the mobo because my PSU doesn't have it split into two things of 4. :lol: The 8 should be fine and will provide a bit more power for when you decide to OC. Remember to have the 24 pin connector plugged in as well before you power it up.

The heatsink I wouldn't worry about, it should be fine.

I'd install the drivers off the disc first and then if you need updated ones, just download those later.

Cool. OK, I'm going to resume this after supper; french onion soup. :D

I REALLY hope everything works. If not, I'll have to troubleshoot and that should be fun.

With my luck, I'll have done everything just fine and it'll all work out and once I get everything into the case there will turn out to be a single bent pin or something (though I did do a VERY meticulous check before dropping in the CPU to make sure there were no bent pins).

One thing I've noticed is that things are packaged in a way that it would almost take the apocalypse to get into them! I mean, the CPU, RAM, and HSF all almost went for a tumble to the floor because of the way they were all sealed in.

So far the major things I noticed are:

- The CPU bracket took more force than expected to close when the CPU was in it.

- The "award winning mounting hardware" from Noctua was nice until I tried to attach the actual HSF. Then, it turned into a real PITA.

- Attaching the HSF's fans was exceedingly annoying.

OK, wolfed down some soup and I'm back!

My HSF only uses 3 out of the 4 pins on CPU_FAN. Is that normal?

Also, my DIMMS look like:

2 (blue)

1 (black)

4 (blue)

3 (black)

I have the stick of RAM in "1." I'm assuming that's correct. It's just that I noticed that with this, I can remove the RAM without removing my Heat-sink's fan.

Edited by Miek