My Build At Long Last, More Or Less The Final Revision.

Miek

The CM Sniper case will have no problems hiding cables behind the mobo tray,Im considering ur going SLI , so thats y P55 chipset will run ur two cards @x8/8,would consider AM3 with nForce 980a mobo so when u sli it will run @ x16/x16,or u can even consider the i7 930 and x58 mobo 2 do the same but its out of ur budget,1055t with a nForce 980a mobo vs P55 with a i5 750 while running SLI,u will be getting a good boost in performance with the AMD rig.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EDIT: Here's what I came up with for a configuration:

- Cooler Master Storm Sniper

- EVGA GTX470

- Corsair 750HX

- Noctua NH-U12P SE2 120mm SSO CPU Cooler

- Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB

- Lite-On 24x DVD Writer, Black, SATA

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

- Zonet ZEW2500 USB wireless adapter

- G. Skill DDR3 1333MHz RAM, 4GB (2 x 2GB) link

- Intel Core i5-750

- MSI P55-GD65

- ASUS VH226H 21.5" 2ms Monitor (1920x1080)

- Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 speakers

TOTAL (before shipping): $1685.87

I think that this configuration looks pretty good. Thoughts, please? :)

Alright, I'm going to need some responses pretty quick! Below is my FINAL build configuration, and there is a 99% chance that I'm ordering parts TONIGHT from Newegg.ca. So PLEASE offer some feedback, especially if you see any "known to go bad" components!

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

MSI P55-GD65 Is this a good MOBO? Has a BIOS update fixed the CPU overvolting/undervolting?

EVGA GTX470

Corsair 750HX

Intel Core i5-750

G. Skill 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz PC3 10600 Is this good RAM? Is it likely to fail? I read some people that got a bad stick or two in the reviews section.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB I was going to go with a Western Digital Caviar Black, but this one has a better price. Is the Samsung a good choice? There was a Samsung drive in another PC in my house that *did* fail.

LITE-ON Black 24x DVD Writer SATA interface

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Zonet ZEW2500P USB Wireless b/g network adapter

Noctua NH-U12P The only thing I'm concerned about with this is the weight on my motherboard.

Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Channel Speakers

I need a keyboard yet. I'll probably choose something basic, even PS/2 maybe. Something cheap that'll work. Though I also have a PS/2 > USB converter.

I have a monitor. I'll upgrade later. For now, though, I just need some feedback.

PLEASE post feedback about any or all of the parts I've selected. As I said, I may well be ordering TONIGHT. I'm being really "OCD" about this. I just want it to be as perfect as possible.

ALSO: Will I need to buy any cables with the above config? Or will all needed cables be included?

Alright, I'm going to need some responses pretty quick! Below is my FINAL build configuration, and there is a 99% chance that I'm ordering parts TONIGHT from Newegg.ca. So PLEASE offer some feedback, especially if you see any "known to go bad" components!

Cooler Master Storm Sniper

MSI P55-GD65 Is this a good MOBO? Has a BIOS update fixed the CPU overvolting/undervolting?

EVGA GTX470

Corsair 750HX

Intel Core i5-750

G. Skill 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz PC3 10600 Is this good RAM? Is it likely to fail? I read some people that got a bad stick or two in the reviews section.

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB I was going to go with a Western Digital Caviar Black, but this one has a better price. Is the Samsung a good choice? There was a Samsung drive in another PC in my house that *did* fail.

LITE-ON Black 24x DVD Writer SATA interface

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Zonet ZEW2500P USB Wireless b/g network adapter

Noctua NH-U12P The only thing I'm concerned about with this is the weight on my motherboard.

Creative Inspire T3130 2.1 Channel Speakers

I need a keyboard yet. I'll probably choose something basic, even PS/2 maybe. Something cheap that'll work. Though I also have a PS/2 > USB converter.

I have a monitor. I'll upgrade later. For now, though, I just need some feedback.

PLEASE post feedback about any or all of the parts I've selected. As I said, I may well be ordering TONIGHT. I'm being really "OCD" about this. I just want it to be as perfect as possible.

Get a good set of Ram rated at 1600Mhz (The ones I linked to earlier will do just fine) and you will most likely not run into a situation where you are memory limited. Most of the 1333MHz sets I have played with don't go much over 1600Mhz. The motherboard is fine. Stick with the NH-U12P , the Secu-Firm mounting hardware is great.

Alright, I'll make that change.

And the pressure's off until tomorrow: I decided that I DO NOT want to rush this and I'm willing to wait a little but to get it perfect or close to it.

How are any of the following for RAM? I don't want heatsinks (but I do want heatspreaders) because heatsinks will obstruct my CPU cooler.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145263

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211409

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104141

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148333

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104166

I am leaning toward either the Crucial or Corsair, but I think that they'd all be good, IMO.

I'd personally pick up that A-DATA RAM. I've used a few of their kits in builds for friends and haven't had a single issue yet. If I can't get G.Skill, I always default to A-DATA.

Also, you are going to be running a smaller system drive with the 1TB acting as storage right? :P

Um... No. I'm using a single 1TB HDD for everything.

I think you should use something like this 500GB Samsung as the system drive and then the 1TB as storage. That way if something happens on your OS, you're not going to be losing everything when you have to reformat.

I think you should use something like this 500GB Samsung as the system drive and then the 1TB as storage. That way if something happens on your OS, you're not going to be losing everything when you have to reformat.

Creating two partitions, one for the OS and the other for your documents, will do the same thing. :)