Bikes

Psywar

That TW200 after the guys Reserve and after I pay for shipping from Dallas to Michigan, it will cost me just as much to buy it brand new lol.

This thread is epic (good), I'm looking at getting a bike and am in a similar predicament and you all have convinced me to go for a ~250cc bike for my first.

Though once I'm very comfortable with it I'll probably get a strong 600cc bike since I'm a stick (5'11 140lba), though I drove my dad's 700cc 1985 Honda Interceptor and once it was moving I was fine. But a newer 600 will be lighter/faster/efficient.

For my second bike (one I will keep around longer/forever), I refuse to get carbureted. Do any experienced bikers here know when most of the main brands stopped with them?? (or is it more of a bike to bike basis)

(Btw I also have my motorcycle license/endorsement already)

OT ahead:

The old 2-stroke triples were insane! Crazy dangerous for a beginner though...very peaky torque curve.

If you are built on a larger frame, have you checked out the new z1000? They brought them back to the states after a bit of a hiatus from the US market. Its a sick street fighter, gobs of low end tq and tons of rave reviews :).

Widowmakers baby! At lower RPM's they were docile, if you could call it that, hit that torque curve and from what I hear its like taking a punch to the gut.

I did look at the z1000 but I wanted something 2-3 years old for lower insurance. Although if Honda follows its game to bring the cb1100f and cb1100rr to the States I may have to sell a kidney...

That TW200 after the guys Reserve and after I pay for shipping from Dallas to Michigan, it will cost me just as much to buy it brand new lol.

I didn't mean that one, but you get the idea. Sorry :dunno:

Make sure you guys are checking the type of engine and not just going by size like a lot of people do...not all 600cc bikes are going to be the same. Case a point? (Using new bikes just as example)

2010 Ninja 650. 649cc Parallel Twin engine, 71hp @ 8500rpms. Powerful and fast, but tame enough to learn to ride on if you are safe and responsible(like you should be on EVERY motorcycle). More of a sport tourer then a race bike - much more comfortable and forgiving.

2010 Ninja ZX6-R. Smaller engine at "only" 599cc's, but it is an inline 4 cylinder - much like a lot of cars running around. Also like a lot of cars, this thing makes around 130 hp at the flywheel. HUGE difference jumping from 71 to 130 hp when the bike fully fueled with a geared rider weighs under 600lbs. This is a race bike with lights strapped on, and redlines at 16,500rpms. Sickly fast, and fun as helll - but be prepared for achy backs, a sore butt, and annoying drone on the highway. Also a lot of unwanted attention(sometimes you just want to ride, and not get revved at or stared at everywhere you go).

Basically, don't just compare engine size - compare the type of engine and ergonomics. There will always be comprimises. I can tell you right now, after about an hour and a half into a long highway ride I am jealous of the cruisers and wish it was a big comfy Vulcan. In the city in bumper-to-bumper traffic or a packed parking lot, I wish it was a light and nimble Ninja 250 with a featherlight clutch...and in the surprise Florida rainstorms, I wish it was a car!!! :lol:.

LMAO @ Puck!

@gabrieltessin I figured you did not mean that one. I was just looking at the prices n such.

When I get home from the second job today I am going to see if I can find a Used/New Bike Dealer around here. They have to have one at least in a 50mile radius around me I would hope.

I road my bike for 4 hours in one direction (stopped to get gas and a bathroom break) and when I got there I was tired. I drove about 75mph the whole time. My brain felt all fuzzy the rest of the day and I just could think. This was on a fairly comfortable cruiser, on a crotch rocket I think I would have died. Don't rush it, look around before hand. Check craigs list every day. That is where I found mine.

Make sure you guys are checking the type of engine and not just going by size like a lot of people do...not all 600cc bikes are going to be the same. Case a point? (Using new bikes just as example)

2010 Ninja 650. 649cc Parallel Twin engine, 71hp @ 8500rpms. Powerful and fast, but tame enough to learn to ride on if you are safe and responsible(like you should be on EVERY motorcycle). More of a sport tourer then a race bike - much more comfortable and forgiving.

2010 Ninja ZX6-R. Smaller engine at "only" 599cc's, but it is an inline 4 cylinder - much like a lot of cars running around. Also like a lot of cars, this thing makes around 130 hp at the flywheel. HUGE difference jumping from 71 to 130 hp when the bike fully fueled with a geared rider weighs under 600lbs. This is a race bike with lights strapped on, and redlines at 16,500rpms. Sickly fast, and fun as helll - but be prepared for achy backs, a sore butt, and annoying drone on the highway. Also a lot of unwanted attention(sometimes you just want to ride, and not get revved at or stared at everywhere you go).

Basically, don't just compare engine size - compare the type of engine and ergonomics. There will always be comprimises. I can tell you right now, after about an hour and a half into a long highway ride I am jealous of the cruisers and wish it was a big comfy Vulcan. In the city in bumper-to-bumper traffic or a packed parking lot, I wish it was a light and nimble Ninja 250 with a featherlight clutch...and in the surprise Florida rainstorms, I wish it was a car!!! :lol:.

oh yeah of course, but in terms of weight there's a relativity to the engine size (as well as newer models getting lighter/faster/more efficient too)

The old 2-stroke triples were insane! Crazy dangerous for a beginner though...very peaky torque curve.
AGREED

I have ridden dirt bikes before but nothing prepared me for the nasty torque curve when I was riding a 72' Suzuki GT380.

That being said i absolutely love the sound of older asian bikes, nothing like 8500+RPM from a multiple cylinder 2-stroke!

:D

AGREED

I have ridden dirt bikes before but nothing prepared me for the nasty torque curve when I was riding a 72' Suzuki GT380.

That being said i absolutely love the sound of older asian bikes, nothing like 8500+RPM from a multiple cylinder 2-stroke!

:D

yea those are a real hoot...

a few years after i got my kz650 a friend of mine got his hand on a kz500-triple...that thing was pretty wicked...we put expansion pipes on it and it was just as fast as my kz650...on a good day he could get a tire in front of me but thats all...course his front tire wasnt on the ground much either...those old triples will run like scalded dogs...

he left his in a backyard of his old house and moved and I should have snagged that bike but its long gone...I would have loved to get my hand on a 750 triple...I bet that would have been nasty...