Help with PSU

So I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814012

That PSU. It was making a noise. So I shut down and dusted it with air. When I turn it on the fan does not spin. I know in most cases a non-spinning psu it means the supply odd ruined but some only spin at temp s like65c does anyone know if that is threw the case with this one? I cam not find an info on it I should appreciate any help on this I live and by this PC as I gp to school online thanks much on advanced

So I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817814012

That PSU. It was making a noise. So I shut down and dusted it with air. When I turn it on the fan does not spin. I know in most cases a non-spinning psu it means the supply odd ruined but some only spin at temp s like65c does anyone know if that is threw the case with this one? I cam not find an info on it I should appreciate any help on this I live and by this PC as I gp to school online thanks much on advanced

sounds like you burned out the bearings when cleaning it (over it's maximum speed)

it also may have been failing anyways (the fan)

Warranty time

do not tell them you cleaned it other wise they may Void it

Or maybe the pressure caused some poorly done wires to snap..

Blowing should not void warranty but using industrial grade blowers does... :)

Another question I have; is is there a chance the fan comes on a particular temperature?

And; I am water cooled, on my CPU, and I have a ton of fans on the case. Is the purpose of the PSU fan to keep extra air flow in the case?

If that is the situation, with all of the cooling I have, is it ok to operate?

Another question I have; is is there a chance the fan comes on a particular temperature?

And; I am water cooled, on my CPU, and I have a ton of fans on the case. Is the purpose of the PSU fan to keep extra air flow in the case?

If that is the situation, with all of the cooling I have, is it ok to operate?

I have the 900W Tagan BZ, and the fan spins 24/7 on these! So if your fan isn't spinning, then just like punker sd, sounds like warranty time to me as well! But the fan on the PSU's are not designed for extra cooling in your case :) They are designed to cool the PSU itself! If you notice on your Tagan, the fan direction actually intakes from your case, blows the air through your PSU and out of the back of the PSU grill on the backside where the switch is. If your fan was working right now, you could put your hand back there and feel heat! I would not run your PSU if your fan isn't working! I would RMA it yesterday :)

They are giving me a full refund a year and a month later.

$300 Any good recommendations for PSU's? I want modular, would prefer blue lights, and the stone piping that was in the ABS, but I won't be picky.

Thanks for all of the advice!

So question; can I take a 120mm case fan, and throw it on top of the PSU where the fan is at? Won't that serve the same purpose at least temporarily?

And next question

You see my system in my sig;

How much power do I really need?

I am over clocked, and just run that 1 4870x2

Thanks!

If you're handy, yes I think you can swap the fan in your PSU (although I dunno why they let you keep it AND gave u a refund) but I think it's directly connected to the PSU board inside so you'll have to cut the wires and connect to another fan that would also have to have cut wires. Then u put some of the black rubber tape on each wire and it should work. OR ...you could just get a fan, mount it, and if it's connector is long enough, try to make it stick out of the PSU case and connect it to the mobo directly. Be creative.

As for the new PSU. I would say that 1kW would be enough. If you want something similar to yours, XION makes those kinds of PSUs but I wouldn't buy one (in fact, I wanted to for my build but didn't...there's a reason for that). Other than that, I can suggest:

SILVERSTONE ST1000-P 1000W

CORSAIR HX Series 750W the 1000W version is more expensive but then again...I'm not sure if you'll need 1000W.

If it turns out that you won't be needing a 1000W PSU then I'd suggest you just go in newegg and look around for something that you'll like. That's what I did. Found some PSUs, if I liked something I read a few reviews on the internet to see if it's good or not. Corsair, Silverstone, Antec, OCZ, Thermaltake and Coolermaster make good PSUs so check em out.

So, I am not NOT sending back this other PSU; I am just broke right now, so I have to wait until Payday to get a replacement. I was considering holding on to this one until then; replacing it with one from BestBuy or CompUSA, then RMA'ing it, getting the refund, and buying a new one.

I'm putting a 120mm case fan on top of the PSU right now, pictures to follow

Thoughts?

Hmm...I'm not sure that this will cool very much. The fan underneath will stop the air from coming in. I'd say remove the inside fan, and screw another fan on top or something. Or if you have an 80mm fan try to screw it on the back of the PSU...where the button is.