Sign in to follow this  
visagepoissons

Choosing between a GTX480 or 5870

:lol: I meant it in, you don't game on the computer the entire time. :P

I believe Photoshop CS4 and newer use CUDA, though CS3 may. I just know CS4 and CS5 can both take advantage of it. 3DSM just needs a plugin, found towards the bottom of this page.

Also, the reason for a 470 is because its cheaper, uses less power, and will still be able to do all the CUDA features as the 480. Least, thats why I'd go with one.

True, but I really don't want to have to worry about being able to max out games for a while. I've seen benchmarks of the 480 doing only like 54fps on B:BC2 with 8x AA and 16x AF. :/ So I really want the most powerful thing available. My GTX260 was great at the time but it started to fall behind pretty fast.

True, but I really don't want to have to worry about being able to max out games for a while. I've seen benchmarks of the 480 doing only like 54fps on B:BC2 with 8x AA and 16x AF. :/ So I really want the most powerful thing available. My GTX260 was great at the time but it started to fall behind pretty fast.

i dont have any problems with my gtx260 atm. everything still plays on high detail. i just dont get to see the difference of dx11 in games like dirt 2 and BC2. i mean sometimes when theres a lot of detail and smoke the frames will drop to high 30s but it doesnt make it any less playable. if you really want the best i'd hold off on the 480 for now. because like with the gtx 280 a couple of months down the track they released the 285 and 275 so 280 was bumped from the top.

I just thing that 470 is a far better bargain, it's not far off from the 480 and it's alot cheaper.

it should be a choice between the 5850 and 470 IMHO.

I just thing that 470 is a far better bargain, it's not far off from the 480 and it's alot cheaper.

it should be a choice between the 5850 and 470 IMHO.

GTX480. Read post he wants to do graphic work. More power is needed for that.

GTX480. Read post he wants to do graphic work. More power is needed for that.

They wouldn't require more power than the 470 has to offer

Uhm yeah it is more power. I wonder why the GTX480 performs better in games and other programs than the GTX470. Can't be better... :huh:

Uhm yeah it is more power. I wonder why the GTX480 performs better in games and other programs than the GTX470. Can't be better... :huh:

I meant the programs wouldn't require more power than the 470 would offer (I'll edit that, I admit it wasnt clear)

I do some pretty intensive graphical work, and I really want to future proof this thing for a while. I know the 470 would probably do me, but the longer I can put off upgrading after this, the better. That's why I think the 480 will do better fo me.

Now, after considering a lot of the evidence given in this thread, I think that the 480 is the way to go. Hwever, I still have another question that I don't think warrants a new thread. Which brand?

At the moment I am looking at ones by Gigabyte, Asus and eVga.

Gigabyte is the cheapest at only $709.00

Asus is easily the most expensive at $909.00

and eVga is reasonable at $739.00

Now, ordinarily you'd think go for the cheapest... But hang on, Asus is a rapload more expensive then the rest at $200 more then the Gigabyte. I've heard good things about eVga and their overclocking utilities, although the Asus claims to come with voltage tweaking software (can't see myself getting too into that sort of stuff at the temperatures these run at) and I don't know much about Gigabyte cards.

Is there any reason for thsi major price difference? Do Asus offer some god like perk with their cards or something? Warranty issues? Reliability? Which would you trust?