Sign in to follow this  
shiver_8

The importance of maintenance

So I decided to pop in my old 8800gt to another computer. Stress testing with furmark I was hitting 110C even with the fan 100%. So I disassembled the card, blew out all the dust off the heatsink, re-applied thermal paste, and now I do not see it going higher than 80C on the same test. You will be surprised how well dust can insulate heat, this goes for everyone on air cooling for their CPU as well. Just though I'd pass my tip on. And doing this fix only took me 20 minutes! If you're thinking about it then just do it, it's worth it.

How would you recommend me cleaning out my card? :D It's like a child to me and I've never disassembled a graphics card before =P Temps are still in the low 50's atm though so it'd just come in handy for the future.

Remove all your screws on the back PCB and then twist the heatsink assembly off, careful to be aware the wire for the fan is still attatched to the PCB. Then take some compressed are and blow out all the fins, and remove the old thermal paste and re-apply some quality thermal paste. It's a 15 minute process if you know what you're doing.

I have an old nVidia 6600 and i tried everything to remove the fan and heatsink but it's just bolted there in place. The dust makes the fan virtually unusable. I just added another fan and it's fine though. Do the newer cards have some kind of removable heat sinks? I just ordered a 470 and I'd like to be able to clean it every now and then.