12V Reading

Hey all,

I have been running windows 7 64 bit for about 6 months now, but for the past month i have been getting random freezing and it would not start up sometimes and when it does there would be blue lines and it would freeze again. The rig that I am running is

Q6600 Go Stepping (No Overclock)

2 x 9800gtx in SLI

500GB Seagate HDD

2 x DVD/CD drives

2 x 2GB OCZ Ram

Aprevia 900 Watt PSU

I dont believe that the problem is my CPU as there is no overheating and it stays around 38 degrees. So i figured that there had to be something wrong with the voltage going to my graphic cards. All the voltage readings on my Power Supply are where they are supposed to be and a little bit over in some cases except for my 12v. The lowest I have seen it is at 11.98 which is a very small drop. So I wanted to know if the rare and random time that the 12V line drops to 11.98 is the cause of my freezes. This is the only explanation I have been able to come up with.

Thanks for any help in advance

Would your power supply be the Apevia Warlock 900W? It's not the greatest power supply out there but definately not the worst but it does score poorly in the performance stakes especially at high loads. Your 11.98V on the 12V rail is perfectly acceptable providing it's stable. The ATX specification for the 12V rail is anything in the range 10.8V ~ 13.2V so as you can see it's well within. Have you measured the voltage at idle or with the CPU and GPU's loaded up?

Would your power supply be the Apevia Warlock 900W? It's not the greatest power supply out there but definately not the worst but it does score poorly in the performance stakes especially at high loads. Your 11.98V on the 12V rail is perfectly acceptable providing it's stable. The ATX specification for the 12V rail is anything in the range 10.8V ~ 13.2V so as you can see it's well within. Have you measured the voltage at idle or with the CPU and GPU's loaded up?

yes it is the aprevia warlock series, i didnt think that it would be the power supply since i just finished blowing out all of the dust and stuff about two weeks ago, but the 12V rail stays between 11.98 ~ 12.10 on idle and load. The only other thing that it may be is a HDD firmware update, but i doubt that since I have been using this same setup for about 2 years now and never needed one.

Do you have any other ideas and thanks for the speedy response

There are a couple steps you could take. The free ways are

1.fully reinstall new drivers

2.reinstall W7

3.run memtest(I highly doubt it's the RAM)

4.if you have onboard video or an extra video card and see if that clears up your problem

make sure nothing is overheating. You never know if maybe you knocked something loose like your NB heatsink