Gaming Desktop for 1800-2000

Island_brotha

Cheers guys….any and all insight and advice is appreciated.

This is some what long post and will try my best to shorten it.

I want to build ( well have a computer savy person build) a gaming desk top. I have a budget of about 1800-2000 and would like to have a quality vs price vs future upgradeability gaming machine within the financial constraints I have mentioned.

I found a page that listed some ideas, have done some research on the components needed to have a gaming PC built and would like your input on the selections…plus anything I may have forgotten or should consider.

CPU/Processor Intel Core i7 930 Processor (leaning toward this one)

Intel Core i5 750 Processor

*** overclock which ever I end up getting

Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P 1156 P55 SATA6Gb/s USB3.0

ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 Crossfire8x/8x

Not sure which

Ram G.SKILL 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

Video Card Radeon HD 5970 2GB

Two XFX Radeon HD 5850 1GB (if I cannot find the 5970)

Hard Drive SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s

Optical Drive LITE-ON Black 24X SATA CD/DVD Burner

Power Supply Seventeam 850W CrossFire/80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Cooling COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 120mm CPU CoolerARCTIC +COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound

Sound Card Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 24-bit 96KHz PCI

**depending on Motherboard may not need one.

As for the cover I will worry about that when it is finished as it seems they come a dime a dozen ill just make sure it fits. Should I change any of those components or should I just ebay find best prices for them and order away?

Again..thanx for any insight.

Island Brotha

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Ok 2nd thing the i7 930 would not fit in those motherboards you've listed. To use the i7 930 you need a socket 1366 motherboard. if you get either of those motherboards you listed, you would have to go the i5 or get an i7 860. i'd personally go the gigabyte over the asus.

3rd you havent listed any prices on any of the parts. where in the world are you located and where do you plan on buying the parts from? It will help us to recommend parts that suit your budget

8G of ram is overkill for a gaming computer. 4G would do fine or 6G if you get the i7 930 on a socket 1366 board

Cover? do you mean the case? cases can be quite expensive and its not just about making sure everything fits.

Do you need a mouse / keyboard / monitor / speakers?

Finaly, the thing that i always seem to bring up. Do you already have an OS disc? will you need to add one to the total cost?

Firstly,,...thank you for replying :)

Do you have a preference to which CPU you would choose...from what I have read...I am leaning toward to i7 930.

I am from Bermuda and travel tot he US often...so it would be a mixture of compusa, tigerdirect and ebay...although i do prefer to jsut get all from one place so probably compusa.

Thank you for the point Re ram...I will lower the amount to 4 or 6 gigs. Yes I did mean the case...I read I should get a case which has possibility of extra fans for cooling...is thee something else I should consider? I have the other 'little' things such as mouse keyboard OS disk :)

Thank you again :) really appreciate the comments

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Ok 2nd thing the i7 930 would not fit in those motherboards you've listed. To use the i7 930 you need a socket 1366 motherboard. if you get either of those motherboards you listed, you would have to go the i5 or get an i7 860. i'd personally go the gigabyte over the asus.

3rd you havent listed any prices on any of the parts. where in the world are you located and where do you plan on buying the parts from? It will help us to recommend parts that suit your budget

8G of ram is overkill for a gaming computer. 4G would do fine or 6G if you get the i7 930 on a socket 1366 board

Cover? do you mean the case? cases can be quite expensive and its not just about making sure everything fits.

Do you need a mouse / keyboard / monitor / speakers?

Finaly, the thing that i always seem to bring up. Do you already have an OS disc? will you need to add one to the total cost?

OK great...ill compare notes and go from there....silly question...the thermal compound...is it a one time process or do i need to re-coat every once in a while

thanx again

There was a guy asking for the same price range except in Australian dollars.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=175434

He ended up about ~$2,250 AUD, which should end up about $1,900 US. If you price shop you could probably knock at least a hundred off.

When buying parts one cannot go wrong with turning to the Egg, Newegg that is!

Have used them for almost 5 years with no complaints, they are usually some of the lowest prices on the net.

I have also been using Amazon a little more, they have a lot of parts on their that you wouldn't realize.

GL w/ your build!

OK great...ill compare notes and go from there....silly question...the thermal compound...is it a one time process or do i need to re-coat every once in a while

thanx again

Depends on who you talk to.. some change it about every 6months - a year.. some never..

Firstly,,...thank you for replying :)

Do you have a preference to which CPU you would choose...from what I have read...I am leaning toward to i7 930.

I am from Bermuda and travel tot he US often...so it would be a mixture of compusa, tigerdirect and ebay...although i do prefer to jsut get all from one place so probably compusa.

Thank you for the point Re ram...I will lower the amount to 4 or 6 gigs. Yes I did mean the case...I read I should get a case which has possibility of extra fans for cooling...is thee something else I should consider? I have the other 'little' things such as mouse keyboard OS disk :)

I personally would be going the i7

CPU: i7 930 - $299.99

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R $199.99

RAM: OCZ Gold Tri Channel 6GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz $184.99

HDD: Western Digital WD10EARS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 1TB, 3.5", SATA   $79.99

GFX: 2x XFX HD-585X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5850 ( FREE Aliens vs. Predator Game) $309.99 (619.88 for 2)

Optical drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04 Internal DVD Writer $21.99

heatsink: Cooler master 212 $29.99

PSU: Corsair TX950W 950-Watt Power Supply 149.99

Prices all from CompUSA comes to $1506.92 leaving you ~$300 for a case

you could go with a Cooler Master HAF 932for $139.99

I personally love my Antec 1200 but CompUSA doesnt stock them

a note with cases more fans tends to equal cooler but also equals more noise. and you also have to consider if it has places for you to hide wires and if all your components will fit