Complete newbie wanting to build a budget gaming rig

zaphthegreat

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are looking up. I got Windows installed. Now my only issue is that the USB ports in the back don't work. I can only use the ones on the front panel. So, my keyboard is awkwardly hooked up to the front of the computer.

Hmm... does anyone know why my system info states that I have 4 gigs of RAM, but only 3.50 gigs of usable RAM? Is this normal?

Thanks again.

If I may try to answer my own question, could it be due to the fact that I haven't installed my GPU yet and still using the on-board? I guess I'll find out tonight when I get home and install the GPU.

Glad to hear it.

No, not yet. I'm still trying to figure out what I did wrong with the USB ports.

There shouldn't have been anything you did wrong with the rear ports unless you went in and attempted to make some sort of changes in the BIOS. They should have worked by default with native legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS.

Once you installed Windows and your chipset drivers they should have picked it up from there. Have you installed your chipset drivers? Did you disable native legacy USB support in the BIOS?

There shouldn't have been anything you did wrong with the rear ports unless you went in and attempted to make some sort of changes in the BIOS. They should have worked by default with native legacy USB support enabled in the BIOS.

Once you installed Windows and your chipset drivers they should have picked it up from there. Have you installed your chipset drivers? Did you disable native legacy USB support in the BIOS?

I left the BIOS alone, since I didn't want to mess with any of it.

I installed the motherboard drivers, but that didn't seem to help. I'll be going home soon, so trial-and-error will hopefully show me what went wrong.

It's not like there could be something I forgot to connect to the PSU that could be causing this, right?

In the worst case, I'll need a hub.

It's not like there could be something I forgot to connect to the PSU that could be causing this, right?

In the worst case, I'll need a hub.

Nope, nothing you forgot to connect to the psu should be causing this. You've already ensured that both the 24-Pin ATX and 8-Pin Aux power plugs are connected per earlier posts in this thread.

You can try clearing the BIOS and reloading defaults to see if that clears up the problem. If not I wouldn't buy a USB hub. I would return the board for one where everything works as it is supposed to.

All right, quick update: I've installed the GPU and I'm now getting my full 4 gigs of RAM.

I also realize now that the USB ports on the back work perfectly well. They just don't work with that old HP keyboard I'm using. Other hardware I've now tested there works fine. I guess I'll have to to choose between getting a new keyboard or getting used to plugging it into the front panel.

Well, now everything seems to work, except for the headphones port on the front panel. I've tried to plug each connector for it in turn (HD audio and AC'97), but getting nothing either way.

Any ideas? Those same headphones work just fine on my old PC and at my work.