Photoshop CS5 Content Aware is a Joke

I've actually recently implemented the algorithm they use (albeit a slow one) and the results make sense. It's not like it can magically create data where there isn't any (the filling is based on the statistical probability of each pixel being in that spot relative to the other valid pixels near it). It can't create new information and it certainly won't create something that's "correct" when there's nothing for it to base that "correct" part of the image on.

• 3 months later...

You can't expect it to make things that aren't there. Content aware tool grabs 'data' from around it...one which it thinks it'll suit it best. You can have half of a picture, say the Mona Lisa and expect it to recreate the other half! Content Aware works like it should.

• 1 month later...

Honestly, the Content Aware feature is really nice, but its not perfect. It simply uses algorithms to calculate the pixels nearby and it constructs based off what percentage of content is nearby. It really works best when you have a consistent pattern throughout an image.

• 1 year later...
Guest evilneil

It really depends on what your trying to do with it, for your situation no its not the best choice.. If you are touching up skin use the spot tools or a plugin called portrait professional for PS, if you trying to clean up a background it really depends on the surroundings, but usually it will come fairly close where I will just have to patch up a few spots. Using PS daily I think content aware is better than what we used to have, NOTHING lol