Sign in to follow this  
brad257

Graphics Bios Flash Vista Help

I have a Sapphire Radeon 4870 512mb PCIe2 Card and I downloaded the latest BIOS from the sapphire website. Its says I need to boot the system into pure dos mode which as far as i'm aware you can't do with vista. Can someone please advise me on how to flash the bios.

Thanks guys

Brad

you need to grab a flash drive and install dos on it. the other way you could do is with RBE - Radeon BIOS editor, just alot more risky.

anyways rule of thumb for flashing anything, if it ant broke don't fix it. you are more likely to brick it than anything else.

You'll need ATi flash tool, your new BIOS and a thumb drive (as noted by HBC)

I'm attaching the complete instruction set directly from Sapphire's web site - zip file

Regards,

Edited by wevsspot

Hmm...I didn't know that GPU's had bios upgrades too...maybe I should look for one for me. I use ati flash with a floppy for my flashes. Much easier to get dos on it. The I just put ati flash and a copy of the old and new BIOSes and I flash. I keep the old/stock BIOS simply for a roll back in case something goes wrong.

Hmm...I didn't know that GPU's had bios upgrades too...maybe I should look for one for me. I use ati flash with a floppy for my flashes. Much easier to get dos on it. The I just put ati flash and a copy of the old and new BIOSes and I flash. I keep the old/stock BIOS simply for a roll back in case something goes wrong.

Yep, there are BIOS updates for some GPUs. You can check at your card mfg. website, or TechPowerUp has a fairly extensive library of video card BIOS files.