MJCRO

[Sigh] The time has come where I must go to college...

K, the time has come where I must make my transition to college, :snap: haha. Well now I'm at the point where I'm gonna have to get rid of custom build game and move back to locked BIOS and no upgrading. :mfp:

So first, I'm planning on getting rid of my current machine, but before that I need to upgrade it before I sell, 5770, TX650, Storm Scout, etc. :teehee:

Right now, I'm looking at the Alienware M15x, I'm looking to spend just about $1500, maybe a little more depending on the configuration. My close friend actually has a M17x, and I got to use for good while and really developed a respect for the thing even though he paid 5 G's for his, :pfp:

What do you guys, should I sell my system? pick an Alienware? Pull the desktop to college? :thx:

K, the time has come where I must make my transition to college, :snap: haha. Well now I'm at the point where I'm gonna have to get rid of custom build game and move back to locked BIOS and no upgrading. :mfp:

So first, I'm planning on getting rid of my current machine, but before that I need to upgrade it before I sell, 5770, TX650, Storm Scout, etc. :teehee:

Right now, I'm looking at the Alienware M15x, I'm looking to spend just about $1500, maybe a little more depending on the configuration. My close friend actually has a M17x, and I got to use for good while and really developed a respect for the thing even though he paid 5 G's for his, :pfp:

What do you guys, should I sell my system? pick an Alienware? Pull the desktop to college? :thx:

Keep the desktop and get a cheaper lappy both of my g/f's sons are in college and both have each and need each

Yeah but that's what I thought but I really don't want to be pulling both systems up there every 4 months, I'm gonna be dorming 4 hrs drive upstate NY from where I live! :snap:

Keep the desktop if you can, especially if it's fully functional, and get a cheaper laptop to take to classes. Besides you wouldn't want a computer to fail on you and not have a backup.

First thing you need to do is figure out what it is that you need. I take my laptop with me to school everyday, but I only use it when I've got nothing to do at work. If you just need something for taking notes on in class, checking email, and light web browsing when you're not at home or in the dorms or apartments, then a cheap netbook would work. That's essentially what they're designed for.

Yeah but that's what I thought but I really don't want to be pulling both systems up there every 4 months, I'm gonna be dorming 4 hrs drive upstate NY from where I live! :snap:

You're too lazy to do 40 minutes of work(20 to disconnect and 20 to reconnect, tops) every 4 months? Bro, seriously?

Do what everyone else has told you. Get a cheap laptop(loads of good college laptops out there for <600) and keep your desktop. This way you have two places to keep your work for college AND you aren't lugging $1.5k worth of laptop everywhere you go. By the way, the latter will flag you for every single laptop thief on campus, and trust me there are tons of them.

I used to think that, keep it and buy a netbook, but I'm really not trying to have TWO computers to worry about, regardless even if I got my dorm open, everyone's gonna be scoping out my desktop and 22' monitor just sitting there, it's not the disconnecting the PC and stuff, it's just I'm looking to have something all in one, and with the help of a laptop lock and Computrace.

I used to think that, keep it and buy a netbook, but I'm really not trying to have TWO computers to worry about, regardless even if I got my dorm open, everyone's gonna be scoping out my desktop and 22' monitor just sitting there, it's not the disconnecting the PC and stuff, it's just I'm looking to have something all in one, and with the help of a laptop lock and Computrace.

You can always put the desktop somewhere it can't be seen from the door. The desktop will also be behind a locked door when you're not there (depending on the roommate you may have) and a cheap laptop can still have a laptop lock and computrace plus the added protection of not being so tempting.

Look, do what you want, but be aware that laptops are far more easily damaged (my first laptop cost $2000, and the motherboard failed twice on me just past the warranty), more easily stolen, more easily lost and so on.

If you must get a powerhouse laptop, I would look around at more than just Alienware, just because of pricing. Also, if you are serious about just the one computer and for college, get the extended warranty so it is covered until you get your degree. Took months to get my laptop RMA'd (failed in like July and didn't get the RMA number until November or something), but probably would've been days if it were under warranty. Some say it's a waste of money, but if you're out of commission like that for finals, and need your computer, all you'll get is sympathy. My current laptop was $1000, haven't had any problems with it, and got a three year extended warranty on it, for under $400. That may seem like a lot, but still cheaper than the $2000 laptop, $216 RMA for the motherboard, and eventually just a $2216 paperweight (bought my current laptop while waiting on this one getting RMA'd, so didn't bother with getting it fixed again). Funniest part, to me, was that I even asked if I could get a warranty on the replacement motherboard, but only a 60 or 90 day standard warranty could be applied. Guess how long it was before it failed, again? I'll tell you the whole story if you want.

Yeah I feel you, I had to go through the same exact thing about 2 years with an HP tablet, :mfp:. Def. sounds convincing, I'm still debating, I'm just looking at Alienwares and expensive systems in general, I want to have something powerful but also be decently mobile, and at the moment I'm tired of having a custom build to worry about all the time opposed to a laptop which is little easier to maintain, at least I think, but hey your right anything can happen. :snap:

Just use your desktop the first semester while you figure out what you need. Do you want to take a laptop to class for notes? How long does that battery need to last for? Some classrooms may have outlets at every desk to plug into while others don't have any. Some laptops won't last the hour to three hours for class so you may want something with better battery life. Does your school require a laptop?

That's a great point about battery life. Desktop replacement laptops, which it sounds like you're looking for, won't have a very good battery life, without a lot of tweaking to the power settings. My $2000 laptop would have been considered one, and I think only got from 1.5-2 hours on the battery, with settings to keep it going as long as I could. Of course, it had a 17in screen, which sucks batteries dry real fast.

Also, where would you put the laptop when using it? The more powerful the laptop, the hotter it gets, so you may not want it on your lap. The wider it is, the harder it can be to keep it on your lap comfortably (I'm pretty skinny, so that may just be me).

I live 5.5 hours away from college and i still haul my desktop there with no regrets. I started out with just a laptop, but it just was not at all worth it. Now I have a desktop for in my room and a netbook to take to class, and it is a million times better than just having a laptop. 15" laptops suck to have to drag them to class every day. They are way too heavy, and then they don't even fit on the desk well most of which aren't much larger than a sheet of paper. Keep your desktop and get a good netbook.