?? on Raid setup on new W7 64 build

Majikdog

Question on how to (yes noob here) setup new build with 1 WD 500(Black) for OS(Win7 pro 64) and 1 WD 500(Black) for data and games. Asus M4N98TD Evo board, PHII X4 965be 3.4 6m 125wt chip, 4gbGskill Ripjaws. Do you setup a raid or not? Am waiting on my HFS Sunbeam cctf92 to show up to get build started.

You're saying you want to use two identical drives in your comp, one for OS, one for data/games, right? If thats the case, then just plug the drives in and work like you would with a single drive, just install your games and save your data to the secondary drive rather than the primary. No raid needed.

You're saying you want to use two identical drives in your comp, one for OS, one for data/games, right? If thats the case, then just plug the drives in and work like you would with a single drive, just install your games and save your data to the secondary drive rather than the primary. No raid needed.

Correct. So is there a performance advantage to running a raid setup compared to what I was thinking about?

Edit....I just found it on the forums...

Edited by Majikdog

Up until getting my SSD RAID array, I had a setup just like yours. I had two 500GB drives in RAID 0 that had everything on them, and a 1TB drive where I stored backup images of my RAID array. Having that RAID array gave me a noticeable performance boost, and I experienced no adverse effects to having everything on one drive. Hope that helped...

Up until getting my SSD RAID array, I had a setup just like yours. I had two 500GB drives in RAID 0 that had everything on them, and a 1TB drive where I stored backup images of my RAID array. Having that RAID array gave me a noticeable performance boost, and I experienced no adverse effects to having everything on one drive. Hope that helped...

Yep thks

Correct. So is there a performance advantage to running a raid setup compared to what I was thinking about?

RAID0 will theoretically double both read and write speed if you were to have 2 drives in the array.

RAID0 will theoretically double both read and write speed if you were to have 2 drives in the array.

So as I'm waiting for my Sunbeam HSF to show up, ?? go ahead and setup raid when I install Win7?

I have 2 WD 500 gb disks in Raid 0 for my system drive and a 1TB disk for my backups, data, movies etc. I definitely noticed a speed improvement over just having one disk for the OS drive. Not double but noticeable. The practical benefit for me is things load quicker .