XxHellxRaizerxX

Car Sub and Amplifier

So I purchased my JVC KD-HDR20 head unit and I am loving how much better my system sounds, even on the stock speakers (which aren't terribly bad) in my 2000 Chevy S10 Pickup. However I'm looking for some oomph in the low end now. My friend has an MTX TT65 12" that I am looking to purchase. However I need to find an amplifier for it. AFAIK the sub is 400Watt RMS at 2ohms. Is it necessary to purchase a matching amplifier? or is it ok to run the sub on an amp with lower wattage and possibly 4 ohms and not 2. Amps that give 400watts that I've seen are a little higher than what I would like to pay, but if they are necessary for the best sounding and least risk of damaging the components then I will settle and get one.

Thanks in Advance

Yea I'm definitely not planning on buying anything from ebay or cragslist. I'll most likely stick with Crutchfield. I'm looking at the Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-1. It's 300watt but it's supposedly really underrated as well. Only $200 so that's not a bad deal really. Just waiting to sell the parts from my desktop so I can put some of those funds towards my system :(

So I purchased my JVC KD-HDR20 head unit and I am loving how much better my system sounds, even on the stock speakers (which aren't terribly bad) in my 2000 Chevy S10 Pickup. However I'm looking for some oomph in the low end now. My friend has an MTX TT65 12" that I am looking to purchase. However I need to find an amplifier for it. AFAIK the sub is 400Watt RMS at 2ohms. Is it necessary to purchase a matching amplifier? or is it ok to run the sub on an amp with lower wattage and possibly 4 ohms and not 2. Amps that give 400watts that I've seen are a little higher than what I would like to pay, but if they are necessary for the best sounding and least risk of damaging the components then I will settle and get one.

Thanks in Advance

If the sub is an MTX TT6512-02 the specifications call for 200 to 400 w rms @ 2 ohm. The amp you selected from Crutchfield fits within those specs. What ever amp you choose don't assume that a 4 ohm amp will double its output at 2 ohms or even be capable of driving a 2 ohm load. In my home system I have a Threshold that's 250 @8, 500 @4 and 1000 @2. I have an Adcom that's 200 @8 and 350 @4 with no spec listed for 2. I have a Denon AVR that's 80 into 8 and 115 into 6. A good amp should double as you step down but not all do.

Edited by rrob