OCC's History

So I was just chillin here and I was reading some of the 2001 reviews OCC made and they seem quite different from those today. So I thought "How was OCC like when it started out? How did it start? How come it's so popular today? Did it always have a blue background?" I was thinkin maybe someone from way back when, could tell me about OCC's history...doesn't have to be very deep...just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes our color scheme is the same mostly, our original CES coverage got lost of views and alot of interest in the site. and this site has gotten better since the original owner sold it.

The site has come a long way since I joined in early 2003. Its always been a close community but like any family/friendship/business, its had its "dark" days, if thats what you want to call it. Although my most active days were in the Axp/A64 days, I still visit the forums regularly and has been my home page since 2k3.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

It was pretty awesome back in the day too... tripple figure posts-per-day, right Hardnrg? :P I do remember myself being guilty of such a thing as well though :lol:

Not me :whistling:

So I was just chillin here and I was reading some of the 2001 reviews OCC made and they seem quite different from those today. So I thought "How was OCC like when it started out? How did it start? How come it's so popular today? Did it always have a blue background?" I was thinkin maybe someone from way back when, could tell me about OCC's history...doesn't have to be very deep...just to satisfy my curiosity.

It was started by Matt Cameron (LinuXProX). Not sure why he started it, but he did. He had a couple of people help off and on over the years, mainly myself, Bosco, Bishop, and Posey. There were a few others that came and went, but we're pretty much the only people that remained somewhat constant. Things were slow during this time, as reviewers usually had to buy the products themselves and higher end items were hard to come by. We sent people to Comdex two years and even E3 once, IIRC.

Due to a number of personal reasons, a few years ago Matt sold the site to our current owners Howard (Admin / Redemption) and Dave (Bosco). Can't say much about what all went on during this time as I was absent, though the site went through a number of changes. Some of which included paid staff members, more reviews, review schedules, etc. Posting more and higher quality reviews increased traffic and got the site more noticed, which in turn helps get more products to review. Comdex is no more, but the staff now attends CES each year, and each year they attend more and more staff are taken. I'm pretty sure this past year, we had more staff than most sites (mainstream news and major tech sites excluded). Next year, we're planning on taking more. ;) (Sadly, I won't be able to go due to school :()

Yes, the site has always been some form of blue, though it started out a bit darker. Aside from the forums, the first few versions of the site were done by Matt. I updated it in 2002 or 2003, and it pretty much stayed the same until Howard took over which uses the layout we have now. The forums, I believe started out as phpBB or something else, and then switched to IPB.

It was started by Matt Cameron (LinuXProX). Not sure why he started it, but he did. He had a couple of people help off and on over the years, mainly myself, Bosco, Bishop, and Posey. There were a few others that came and went, but we're pretty much the only people that remained somewhat constant. Things were slow during this time, as reviewers usually had to buy the products themselves and higher end items were hard to come by. We sent people to Comdex two years and even E3 once, IIRC.

Due to a number of personal reasons, a few years ago Matt sold the site to our current owners Howard (Admin / Redemption) and Dave (Bosco). Can't say much about what all went on during this time as I was absent, though the site went through a number of changes. Some of which included paid staff members, more reviews, review schedules, etc. Posting more and higher quality reviews increased traffic and got the site more noticed, which in turn helps get more products to review. Comdex is no more, but the staff now attends CES each year, and each year they attend more and more staff are taken. I'm pretty sure this past year, we had more staff than most sites (mainstream news and major tech sites excluded). Next year, we're planning on taking more. ;) (Sadly, I won't be able to go due to school :()

Yes, the site has always been some form of blue, though it started out a bit darker. Aside from the forums, the first few versions of the site were done by Matt. I updated it in 2002 or 2003, and it pretty much stayed the same until Howard took over which uses the layout we have now. The forums, I believe started out as phpBB or something else, and then switched to IPB.

God that feels like yesterday :lol2:

Its strange to think how communities develop over the years. I have been a part of the Stratics family since 1997, going to look at things there now, is unbelievable the roots to the now.

Glad to see that people still remember the good ole' days of what has become my new favorite community.

Its strange to think how communities develop over the years. I have been a part of the Stratics family since 1997, going to look at things there now, is unbelievable the roots to the now.

Glad to see that people still remember the good ole' days of what has become my new favorite community.

Those days were anything but the "good ole' days"...we just haven't shared the bad with you :whistling:. I bet all I'd have to do was mention some names and they'd send chills down the old timers' spines. :lol:

Those days were anything but the "good ole' days"...we just haven't shared the bad with you :whistling:. I bet all I'd have to do was mention some names and they'd send chills down the old timers' spines. :lol:

lol, it's funny because your name used to be one of them :bah::rofl: