Powering a Fermi card (GTX 470)

I know I *could* get away with a 650w, but that'd be pulling too close to the peak power at all times.

How high of a wattage should I go for with a single GTX470? 750w?

What brands? I've read through the "Recommended PSU List," but I'd like suggestions (as there are so many to choose from).

I would like something that...

- Is modular with a single +12v rail (with sufficient amperage on it).

- Has 80%+ efficiency at all or at least most times

I've heard good things about Corsair (as well as a lot of other brands, but Corsair seems to be very highly recommended).

Thanks for the help, OCC!

I know I *could* get away with a 650w, but that'd be pulling too close to the peak power at all times.

How high of a wattage should I go for with a single GTX470? 750w?

What brands? I've read through the "Recommended PSU List," but I'd like suggestions (as there are so many to choose from).

I would like something that...

- Is modular with a single +12v rail (with sufficient amperage on it).

- Has 80%+ efficiency at all or at least most times

I've heard good things about Corsair (as well as a lot of other brands, but Corsair seems to be very highly recommended).

Thanks for the help, OCC!

Just about all the name brand PSU's have efficiency ratings over 80%. It is hard to find one that don't. Bizz is on the button. The HX series by Corsair is real good. In some tests it showed over 90% under load.

Just FYI, the 470's recommended power is 550W. If you don't have plans to run SLI in the future, you should be absolutely fine with a high quality 550-600W PSU. The Corsair 650HX (52 amps on the +12v) or the Seasonic X650 (54 amps on the +12v) or any similar quality and efficiency PSU should even handle 470's in SLI (Anandtech's review showed the 480's in SLI consuming "only" 668W in Crysis).

I still think a model from Seventeam would be the best option. Cheaper price than the Corsair HX series, similar or better amperage, plus they are modular.

any of the corsair 750w will do just fine but personally I prefer overkill and would get the 950w or better. Also enermax psu's are great psu's very strong and stable. I have heard the xfx psu's are stellar as well. pc power and cooling psu's and ocz (though now they will be exactly the same unit but diff sticker) The one and only reason I would say get corsair over any is they will honor the warranty 90% of the time even if you have opened the unit. I have seen threads where they replace the psu even though the guy custom sleeved it.

I still think a model from Seventeam would be the best option. Cheaper price than the Corsair HX series, similar or better amperage, plus they are modular.

I'm looking for something with a single +12v rail. All the PSUs by Seventeam have 2 or more from what I can see.

EDIT: The Corsair HX750 looks pretty nice. I think it'll work nicely. However, I am still open to suggestions as I have yet to order anything.

Edited by Miek