CM810STACKER

AMD ATI vs INTEL NVIDIA

HI guys.

Let me start with what I do on my pc. I mostly play games like the new Just Cause 2, but on the side I use Blender for 3d modeling and rendering, which I am starting to use more and more. So the time has come for a new PC and i am stuck with what I should build here are the two options I have, both ruffly costing the same.

First is an AMD ATI build which will help with blender rendering times being a 6 core.

CPU: AMD 1090T Black Edition

MOBO: Asus Crosshair IV Formula

MEMORY: Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 2x2GB

GPU: Asus 5870 V2

This is an Intel Nvidia build which I think will have the gaming advantage.

CPU: Core i7 930

MOBO: EVGA SLI LE

MEMORY: Corsair Dominator GT 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 2x3GB

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 470 1280MB

These two setups as i said before cost around the same price about a 50 dollar differance, the performance is about on par as well so I am stuck between the both. I want to here what your choice would be and why, so I can make an educated decision.

Cheers Massimo

i would go for the AMD ATI build with a 1090t and 5870 u should get better performance the i7 930 and 470

i would go for the AMD ATI build with a 1090t and 5870 u should get better performance the i7 930 and 470

Not if you're going to overclock. If you are, go with the i7 930. You can still get the 5870 instead of the 470, the type of GPU you get isn't dependent on whether you have an Intel or AMD system.

Drop the Corsair RAM. You'll surely get something cheaper which performs just as well.

The AMD system will not, at stock, run the RAM at 1600MHz. If you overclock, then go for the faster memory, which I think is the exact same as what I have in my system, so I know it starts the RAM at 1333 and not the timings Corsair says they can do. One advantage of going with the slower memory is that it will be cheaper. If it is the same as what I have, you could possibly get twice as much RAM for roughly the same price, and still Corsair.

Drop the Corsair RAM. You'll surely get something cheaper which performs just as well.

Hmmm....I don't think I would ever drop the Corsair RAM! It is hands down the best on the market! They also stand by their products for as long as you own it! You can definitley get something cheaper that performs close to as well, but IMO Corsair is always going to perform better. But, then again why listen to me, I am a huge Corsair RAM fan, so my opinion is a little bias :)

But, the OP never said that pricing on RAM was an issue, so I would stay with the Corsair!

But, back to the topic....CM810, this is a difficult decision! The main reason is because the 2 things you want your PC is game and video modeling and rendering! The thing is the AMD will perforn right on par with the i7 during actuall game play, but the i7 will be faster on the video rendering side. So if you think you might focus more of your PC time to misc video editing, rendering, ect... Then you are probably better off with the i7. But, if that is just a side hobby or something, then you might want to save the money and go with the AMD setup! Really, either choice here is not a bad one, cause both setups are very nice! It has been said on here, and I will agree, either way you go on the cpu choice, I would prob go with the 5870 for the gpu, because it outperforms the 470, costs just a little more, but uses much less power and has lower temps as well! So I think the 5870 is a no brianer over the 470 in either rig!

id go with AMD but go with the 5770 just as powerful but cheeper also id say change the ram to something cheeper but just as good

id go with AMD but go with the 5770 just as powerful but cheeper also id say change the ram to something cheeper but just as good

lol wut O.o ?

the 5770 is definitely not as powerful as the 5870! the only way you can turn that into a valid statement is if you say crossfire 5770's.

CM810 -

Here's what I'd do with my own money;

Platform = Intel (Gigabyte or Asus X58 Motherboard)

CPU = Intel i7 930

GPU = HD5870

RAM = Personally I think it's crazy to spend that kind of money on RAM. Is Corsair good or even great memory - emphatically YES. Is that kit you're looking at worth $100 more than some other brands/models on the markety - IMHO the answer is no.

If you want tight timings at DDR3 1600 speeds you need to be considering this kit here. Rated for much higher frequencies at looser timings, but will easily do DDR3 1600 at 7-7-7-21 timings (and in fact will do up to DDR3 1900 at 8-9-8-24 timings - as that is where I'm at with this RAM right now).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231306

Hi guys. Thanks for all your replies.

Well I have gone against all of your advice and bought a Asus Crosshair iv Formula and HIS 5870. I have decided to go with the amd because I like what i have been reading and hearing about the bulldozer and would like to be able to get one next year. So that is why I have gone with the amd board.

Thanks again guys.