2010 OCC update feedback thread

That's not exactly the "fix" any of us were looking for. Is this just temporary until it gets resolved, because as was stated, many of have manually nested quotes in the old system, so simply disabling the auto-nesting doesn't "fix" anything.

I'll see what I can do.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not exactly the "fix" any of us were looking for. Is this just temporary until it gets resolved, because as was stated, many of have manually nested quotes in the old system, so simply disabling the auto-nesting doesn't "fix" anything.

I'll see what I can do.

Didn't work.

And why can't auto-nesting be enabled? Even Dave has been using it. It makes following threads a hell of a lot easier.

When can we get the reputation system working? I want to see how quickly ballsax can get into the "minus hundreds" on his or her next ridiculous post to the boards.

"Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

:(

When can we get the reputation system working? I want to see how quickly ballsax can get into the "minus hundreds" on his or her next ridiculous post to the boards.

Still some tweaking / discussion to do on it first. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

why does clicking on the topic title or the little icon take me to the first unread post? I liked how it used to take me to the first post and clicking the icon next to the title took me to the first unread post. Even if they were switched it would be nice if one of them took me to the first post in case I missed the topic earlier.

"Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day"

:(

Still some tweaking / discussion to do on it first. I'll see what I can get done tomorrow.

As much as I would love negative rep, it makes a whole lot of sense for a system to only use positive rep by itself - too much bullying via negative rep would be far too tempting (in my opinion anyway).

AVForums uses a "thanks" system that shows how many times you have thanked people in posts, and how many times you have been thanked in posts. Best system I've seen to date on any forum.

At the moment it looks like the rep system is set up in this manner:

•  
  • Member X has thread settings set to show only posts above a certain number of points (let just say any above zero points)
  • Member Y has added something valuable to the thread and has received 1 point from other members (1 or more)
  • Member Z has posted something wrong/distasteful/off topic and has had 1 point removed (-1 or less)
  • Member X CAN see Member Y's post but CAN NOT see Member Z's post

While I like the idea, I don't think that has many beneficial uses on OCC.

Sure it is nice for the members of OCC to self-regulate the content of the forums but I think that it would only be useful in certain areas of the forum.

For instance if we had an "X vs. Y" thread then I can foresee a lot of opinions being severely downvoted (think digg.com or reddit.com) when certain people disagree with the opinions of others.

It is a great idea to hide away some of the truly abysmal posts and temporarily hide spam posting before they aredeleted by a moderator but I don't really see any good coming from it.

-

I had thought that the rep system was global, as in a member who has helped the community would have a 'reputation' number and be distinguishable from someone who has not helped the community, hasn't received points for helping the community, or someone who has negative points for doing bad to the community.

Just my 2¢...

EDIT:

Okay after looking at my profile I see an area right under my avatar for reputation.

So is it a dual purpose rep system?

As in each individual post gets upvoted/downvoted and those points are added/subtracted into a members global reputation?

However it works, I think it should be on an arbitrary basis. Regardless of rep, posts are not hidden or revealed etc - they (accumulated positive rep points) are simply a better form of "kudos" than post count.

For example, on AVForums, I have been thanked 72 times in posts that were deemed useful and I have personally thanked in 26 posts that I thought were useful. No additional benefits are the result of this - it's just a way of getting a snapshot of a user's usefulness if you like :)

Hiding/revealing posts based on rep points is full of fail to be honest.

Ya I am not sure why yours is so out of wack

I thought somebody was trying to send me a message or something (a few days prior my avatar disappeared)

I had to redo mine. It's 10 minutes out of your day, just do it. Though finding RoadRunners's quote was a pain

Yeah, I guess this will be the ticket. but then again I don't quite understand how to redo what's already right ya know? :mellow: