Sign in to follow this  
sdy284

$100 headphones

Looking for some cans, my old Sony MDR-V600's finally bit the dust. Usage is all over the place, music, movies, gaming. I don't need/want "surround" headphones. Dont need a headset either.

recommend away.

Oh, and these will not be plugged into a soundcard or headphone amp. Just good ol' onboard audio

Audio Technica ATH-AD700 - $89.99

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro - $98.78

Sennheiser HD 448 - $99.99

Ultrasone HFI-450 - $99.00

The Audio Technica ones are open which means they block no sound and also let sound out. The other three are all closed which means no sound in or out. All of them are circumaural which means they go around your ear and are typically very comfortable. All of them have a low impedance so you don't need a headphone amp or anything, they'll work just fine out of the onboard audio.

I personally use the Sennheiser HD-280s, I've owned them for about 8 months now and I love them. Best headphones I've ever owned and definitely the most comfortable. I use them for music and games and they give some of the best sound I've heard for the price. I got mine a little bit cheaper than what they currently are, so maybe shop around a bit to see who has the best deal on it.

I suggest Koss. Not only are they good headphones, and based in Milwaukee, but they also have a "No-Questions-Asked Lifetime warranty." I have the PRO4AAAT, which you can get cheaper at Amazon ($102), but they do have some cheaper models (mine are the second most expensive non-electrostatic driven headphones). They are very good headphones, and I do have fairly discerning ears (can hear the difference between SACD and CD playback, if that means anything to you).

this is a good place to start, to give you an idea of what's out there for the price, and the different types/designs that you may like or want to get

http://www.headphone.com/selection-guide/

Plantronics aside, the suggestions so far are pretty much what I would recommend, and choose myself for the budget

Id have . with my AD-700s if I needed to. For 100 bucks they would be the most satisfying cheap hooker ever.

Edit* They make sweet music.

Edited by SMeeD

Sony MDR-V6's. Classic design that has been around since the 80's. Tough as all hell and the sound quality is incredibly hard to beat for $70.

My pair has been sat on, thrown around, rained on, completely frozen two winters in a row, baked for a week in a car during our vacation to Florida, and finally, they've survived a fall off of a third-story balcony with only a handful of scratches to show for it. Only thing wrong with them is the ear pads which are completely falling apart. However those are cheap enough to replace.

3 years through hell and back and they still sound just as good as the day I got them. I recommend them with absolute certainty that you'll love them if you like closed-back circumaurals.

Oh, they're also big head friendly! Got mine pulled down to 10 on each ear and I can wear them for an entire day with pretty much no discomfort besides the heat buildup that is common with closed-back headphones.