Help! 84 Degrees Celsius

Brannons

I just installed the ThermalRight SLK-600 with a Delta 8000RPM fan, and my Athlon xp1600 is runn 23 degrees hotter than it was with the stock sink and fan.

Before=60- 63 Celsius

Now= 80-85 Celsius.

I removed and reseated the all copper Sink, and reapplied the thermal gunk. What gives?

Also installed a geforce Crystal orb fan, and now my Geforce doesn't work.

I build and repair pc's for a living, but apparently I have no business trying to cool my pc dowm :(

ouch

90 celcius is like the limit on AMD cpu's

How much thermal paste are you applying?

What kind of thermal paste is it?

What method are you using to get the temp of the cpu?

How many RPM is the fan spinning? Check in bios.

What motherboard?

How hot is the room, where the computer is at?

How much thermal paste are you applying?

Answer: Maybe too much. I'm just covering the core.

What kind of thermal paste is it?

Answer: it came with the sink. Silicone by Plowstar.

What method are you using to get the temp of the cpu?

Answer: The Bios and a windo util from the Motherboard manufacturer

How many RPM is the fan spinning? Check in bios.

Answer: 8000rpm

What motherboard?

Answer: Gigabyte 7vrxp. (The new kt333 via chipset)

How hot is the room, where the computer is at?

Answer: the room is about 75F. My pc's box temp is 32C

When I apply thermal paste, I put it on a very thin coat. It is almost so thin that you can still see the writing on the core.

You might be applying too much.

Since you are getting the temp from the bios that means the method of getting the temps is from the onboard temp probe. These probes are not usually accurate.

What does your core voltage say, in the bios? (your cpu voltage)

ahh

I would take that off to see if it fixes the problem :) I'm guessing the shim is preventing the heatsink from making good contact with the CPU core for some reason.

You should go do that now. Without a shim you will have to be a little more careful when installing heatsinks though.

Another thing you can do that sometimes lowers the cpu temps is to set the vcore (or the voltage of the cpu) to 1.70. I have done this on many systems, and it will lower the temps by about 5-8

yeah what LP said..

also.. on the fan.. try making it an exaust.. and then an intake.. see which one gives u better cooling.. sometimes it matters..

definitly get urself some Artic Silver3.. very thinly coat it.. loose the shim..

and u definitly should be back in business :P

At that temperature, I would almost say check to make sure the fan is plugged in. I was putting together a Duron box last week and totally forgot to plug the cpu fan in, I only found out after checking the cpu health status in the bios and seeing that the core temp was 77*. (everything is fine now, and I was surprised that the generic heatsink alone was doing that well. Yay Arctic Silver!)

However, he did say the fan was running at 8000rpm, so that probably isn't the problem, unless... you sure that is the cpu fan you're seeing?

as Psywar said, you might have it blowing the wrong way. As far as I know all heatsinks are meant to have air blowing ONTO the heatsink, not blowing away from it. This would just mean turning the 2 pin connector around.

Problem found. I was using to much thermal paste. I cleaned the processor and put a very, very thin coat of silver thermal paste on.

I'm down to 32C -34C now. Awsome. Thanks

Oh, And PNY is replacing my Geforce 3 card. Whooh. I got lucky there.