Don't forget that the same series cards can be Crossfired, not just the same exact card. So, he could connect the 5830 and the 5850, and get slightly better performance than two 5830's. Of course, a 5830 will be cheaper, but this is another option available to you. If the first two digits match, they can crossfire.

Don't forget that the same series cards can be Crossfired, not just the same exact card. So, he could connect the 5830 and the 5850, and get slightly better performance than two 5830's. Of course, a 5830 will be cheaper, but this is another option available to you. If the first two digits match, they can crossfire.

To be clear, I'm not working on a computer with a 5830.

This is a brand-new setup.

To be clear, I'm not working on a computer with a 5830.

This is a brand-new setup.

there's always the 285 in the marketplace for $200, other wise I say get the 5850.

Will you OC your new GPU?

If so the 5850's have the best ability to OC it seems than any card in that series or the new Nvidia series as far as a percentage, which of couse doesn't translate to real world percentage gain in fps linearly. From what I understand Nvidia does a more linear job scaling - but their ability to OC as much over their original settings is more limited - they also run much hotter, and louder. I got the Sapphire 5850 Toxic with 2GB (Considering a 5870 or 5970) but probably will stick with what I have because from what I understand by the time you OC both cards to reasonable limits - they are almost identical in performance with the 5870 having a slight edge. What I don't understand is where all the extra shaders comes into play then on the 5870 vs 5850 if in the end after overclocking they are close to even (within a handful of frames per second).

HP

5850 and i know i am being redundant since everyone said this before but with 1 x 5850 you have head room for an upgrade in the future. Also if you overclock it (5850 does great with OC) you will not experience any problems with any games at full details ('sep maybe with Metro 2033 which is ridiculously unoptimized).

Here you go: Crysis

Keep in mind it is recorded with FRAPS. Just add 10-15 fps and there you go ... instant 5850 bliss :)

5850 and i know i am being redundant since everyone said this before but with 1 x 5850 you have head room for an upgrade in the future. Also if you overclock it (5850 does great with OC) you will not experience any problems with any games at full details ('sep maybe with Metro 2033 which is ridiculously unoptimized).

Here you go: Crysis

Keep in mind it is recorded with FRAPS. Just add 10-15 fps and there you go ... instant 5850 bliss :)

My 5830 does better than that at 1050p with motionblur ON and with FRAPs recording :P

I know what you're saying but that video was a horrid example.

Here's one on an AMD rig with no Fraps. This should do the 5850 justice

Hope this helps you decide

My 5830 does better than that at 1050p with motionblur ON and with FRAPs recording :P

I know what you're saying but that video was a horrid example.

Yeah I guess you are right. I was impressed by it though ... you must have some mutant 5830 then :/

Yeah I guess you are right. I was impressed by it though ... you must have some mutant 5830 then :/

it might have been my overclock. All I know is that guy's computer was just barely handling that well. Constant framrate drops. Can't be due to FRAPs alone, either. Mine just doesn't do that when it's recording :P But I'll check your other link. Thank you for the help, man :)

+1 I'd rather sleep with 1 hot chick than 2 ugly ones :bah::lol:

go with the 5850 now. Then once a few months goes buy and they come down in price, get a 2nd one.

After skimming the thread I cant believe nobody has asked this... what resolution are you gaming at?

Because resolution is always irrelevant. The only reason he'd be gaming at a low res is if his monitor doesn't support it.

Because resolution is always irrelevant. The only reason he'd be gaming at a low res is if his monitor doesn't support it.

it's completely relevant because the 5770's lose their luster after 1680x1050 due to their lower memory bandwidth