I'm getting a CrossfireX capable board. The new 890x by Gigabyte, actually...

and I'm torn between getting a 5850 or 2 5770's. I know the 5770's have better performance when put together but is it worth it to have both slots covered? I'm so well-balanced on the fence that a good point one way or another will tip me. I'm seriously just about to buy one or the other.

Thanks, guys :)

From a purely economically view point, as I only own one 5770 (and am very pleased with it), if the choice is a 5850 or two 5770's I'd recommend the 5850. The 5770's may perform better, but unless you need that much performance now, you could add a second 5850 later. Since the price of two 5770's seems about the same as a single 5850, getting the 5850 opens up an upgrade path the 5770's would already be utilizing (crossfire).

Again, this is just based on the fact that two 5770's appear to be the same price as one 5850, and not personal experience with a crossfire setup or the performance of a 5850.

From a purely economically view point, as I only own one 5770 (and am very pleased with it), if the choice is a 5850 or two 5770's I'd recommend the 5850. The 5770's may perform better, but unless you need that much performance now, you could add a second 5850 later. Since the price of two 5770's seems about the same as a single 5850, getting the 5850 opens up an upgrade path the 5770's would already be utilizing (crossfire).

Again, this is just based on the fact that two 5770's appear to be the same price as one 5850, and not personal experience with a crossfire setup or the performance of a 5850.

Mkay! Thank you :)

+1

Always try to go with the best single card you can afford.

wait but you have a 5830 now.....so like, why not just drop a second in. You can probably OC to about 5850 strength right??

wait but you have a 5830 now.....so like, why not just drop a second in. You can probably OC to about 5850 strength right??

He might not be working on the same system.

Personally I'd go with the 5850 as well. As has been stated, the 5850 can be put into crossfire.

Also, 5850s tend to OC pretty well.

I'm getting a CrossfireX capable board. The new 890x by Gigabyte, actually...

and I'm torn between getting a 5850 or 2 5770's. I know the 5770's have better performance when put together but is it worth it to have both slots covered? I'm so well-balanced on the fence that a good point one way or another will tip me. I'm seriously just about to buy one or the other.

Thanks, guys :)

On the other hand, a rig always looks way more cool when you have two GPU's in it. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, a rig always looks way more cool when you have two GPU's in it. :rolleyes:

Why doesn't he just save the money and run two 2600XT's? :rolleyes:

dual 5830 will give performance comparable to the 5970 im not saying it will give more than the 5970 but will give comparable.

+1 I'd rather sleep with 1 hot chick than 2 ugly ones :bah::lol:

go with the 5850 now. Then once a few months goes buy and they come down in price, get a 2nd one.

After skimming the thread I cant believe nobody has asked this... what resolution are you gaming at?

I liked my 2600XT. :D