ups making a loud noise

i thought the high pitch noise is in my cpu, but it was the power supply outlet its making the noise ( ups ), now everytime i do benchmark ( high settings ) or play modern warfare in start of the game, my power supply outlet is making a high pitch noise, anyone know what causes this?

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/...ps/CP550SL.html

my psu is 850w, should i get a better ups or what?, by the way the ups is a 3 plug outlet and i use a extension 2 plug outlet to plugin in the main outlet because our outlets here are 2 plug only

i thought the high pitch noise is in my cpu, but it was the power supply outlet its making the noise ( ups ), now everytime i do benchmark ( high settings ) or play modern warfare in start of the game, my power supply outlet is making a high pitch noise, anyone know what causes this?

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/...ps/CP550SL.html

my psu is 850w, should i get a better ups or what?, by the way the ups is a 3 plug outlet and i use a extension 2 plug outlet to plugin in the main outlet because our outlets here are 2 plug only

It's PSU..... UPS stands for United Parcel Service and you use them for shipping, mail, or things like computer parts. PSU= POWER SUPPLY UNIT.

The noise is from a higher power draw or coming from a higher frequency from your GPU. Usually dogs can hear these frequencies!

Edited by Drdeath

It's PSU..... UPS stands for United Parcel Service and you use them for shipping, mail, or things like computer parts. PSU= POWER SUPPLY UNIT.

The noise is from a higher power draw or coming from a higher frequency from your GPU. Usually dogs can hear these frequencies!

yeah and so can i, it drives me insane :angry2: i can only imagine how bad it must be for the dogs though, as their hearing is what 200x better then ours?

so what can you suggest? should i get a better ups/psu or what?

or is it necessary to use it? or maybe can i just use a extension plug and plug it to the walloutlet?

so what can you suggest? should i get a better ups/psu or what?

or is it necessary to use it? or maybe can i just use a extension plug and plug it to the walloutlet?

what PSU do you have? mostly all the good ones dont make that squealing sound, that black box ups thing is basically a plug adapter to get your 2 prong plugs to work in 3 plug mode right? if so id suggest replacing it with a simple 2 to 3 prong adapter instead of that hulking thing. For now i guess you could just run an extension to it and put it in a different room.

Edit: nvm listen to Bosco ;) vvv

Edited by SenitaL

WTF are you talking about :blink:

@ llj143 the reason your UPS aka Uninterrupted Power Supply is making a high pitch noise is because you are drawing more power then it can provide. This is causing the system to go into overload causing it to squeel very loud warning you something is wrong. What you will need is a bigger unit something like a 900VA - 1200VA should give you the room you need for benchmarking. If you can't afford it grab a surge bar and use that for when you are benchmarking when you are done reconnect to the UPS.

WTF are you talking about :blink:

@ llj143 the reason your UPS aka Uninterrupted Power Supply is making a high pitch noise is because you are drawing more power then it can provide. This is causing the system to go into overload causing it to squeel very loud warning you something is wrong. What you will need is a bigger unit something like a 900VA - 1200VA should give you the room you need for benchmarking. If you can't afford it grab a surge bar and use that for when you are benchmarking when you are done reconnect to the UPS.

well said

I would suggest plugging it into the surge protector side and se if it still does it, most uninterrupted whatchamacallits have sides that are for battery and sides that are for simply being a surge protector. :) If that stops the problem it means that either the unit is faulty or under too much strain. In either case get a better one if you need an uninterrupted supply of power.

Just a suggestion from a completely third-person perspective: It's not too awful, but sometimes your posts make you seem like a dick. Nothing personal, just letting you know how your posts come off.

"Use the 1/2 grain of rice method, it's the best! If you do it any other way you're an IDIOT!"

"UPS stands for United Parcel Service, IDIOT!" (I lol @ anyone who owns the hardware you have and doesn't know what a UPS is... I would have a UPS and line conditioner if I had your PC)

"The OP didn't ask about a 285, IDIOT!" (You're right, Mythos did)

Anyway, to the OP: Your UPS is rated at 330W. A good rule of thumb is to get a UPS that is rated ABOVE your PC's max power draw. If you're in the middle of a Furmark run (worst case scenario IMO) and the power goes out you want to be able to stop Furmark and shut down. Depending on your system, that could be anywhere from 400W-900W. 950-1000W UPS would be sufficient. Of course you can gamble a little bit and go with a 600W UPS to save money, but if you have a UPS you might as well do it right :P

You can use just a surge protector. You could even plug it directly into the wall, but I wouldn't suggest it. A good PSU will protect your components, but it's not good to rely on a single point of failure.

According to the spec page, your UninterruptiBLE (sorry Bosco, but spelling counts :P ) Power Supply can only supply 330 watts output, assuming you linked your exact model. If you have a decent gaming computer (what are the specs?) you can easily breach 330W but your UPS isnt rated to pass that through. You need a better one for sure! Whether or not its the actual alarm.... well, I doubt you're THAT clueless about what an alarm sounds like, but hey, observe me for about 30 minutes in my own day to day and you'll see me do far dumber things :D More than likely though its just your computer demanding more current than the UPS can provide, and the too-much-current-through-too-small-a-pipeline is just making a buzzing sound, like a really high wattage lamp.

Just get a better one, I'd recommend something around 1000 VA. A 7 second Newegg hunt yielded this cheapo one but you should do plenty of research first. Hope that helped!