9800 GT is dieing

Came with rig. Was not bought seperate

I hate to restart an old topic but I need some input.

My link

or

My link

Kinda leaning towards the first one (6 pin and 400W power supply friendly) while the second one say 450W at least

NewEgg has the 1gb XFX HD 4850 for $110 shipped. Get that. Faster than what you have a double lifetime warranty support to boot.

Why not a 5770?

You could remove the fan bearing cover it is just a little paper sticker spray WD-40 on the fan bearing then blow it out with a air compressor to clean it ..or get a new cooler for it

I think the memory on the card failed. I cleaned it all up and still nothing. Would a card wanting 450 watts be OK with only 400 Watt?

The 4770 or the GTS 250 would both be good choices for your rig . The GTS 250 is basically a 9800GTX+ that was re named (Not that it matters as most people make to much out of it. Think Pinto and Mustang II Different shell same guts ). If you want to go bigger make sure your case can handle the card before shelling out any hard earned dough. You also are running at 1280x1024 so you really don't need any more than that. (Yes it goes against my grain IVY). Make sure what ever PSU you get has either a single 6 pin PCIe connection or you have two 4 pin molex power connectors available for the adapter.