whats the best 3d monitor for gaming?

i'm kinda out of the loop on the new 3d stuff and i'm just wondering whats best for games and er 3d

i'm kinda out of the loop on the new 3d stuff and i'm just wondering whats best for games and er 3d

nobody?

nobody?

Well, ok. So... let me explain something that a lot of us gamers share an opinion on.

3D is a gimmick. I, for one, think that 3D would ruin most games entirely. So while we can respect your interest about the matter... please keep in mind that because it's a gimmick(a very expensive one) very few, if any of us have been willing to waste our money on a 3D monitor and a pair of glasses. It's a stupid idea when you look at it.

And because of this common opinion, companies have not seen much reason to make a whole lot of products that support 3D. No one buys them.

So two things are wrong with the question. Actually, 3.

1. No one cares, unfortunately.

2. Not a whole lot of answers, because there's not a whole lot of monitors.

3. You waited just 5 hours to bump the thread.

:) Hope this helps.

I do know Acer has a very expensive, bright orange one. If that helps at all :rolleyes:

5 hours... :blink: ..huh

no bro i asked last nite, but that's beside the point...

i honestly didn't know there are such strong feelings about 3d but now i will look at it from a different perspective...

but that's why i asked...

thanx for the respnse...

cj

B:)

5 hours... :blink: ..huh

no bro i asked last nite, but that's beside the point...

i honestly didn't know there are such strong feelings about 3d but now i will look at it from a different perspective...

but that's why i asked...

thanx for the respnse...

cj

B:)

Oh you're right, I read the timestamps wrong, pardon me :)

And yeah. idk. I'm speaking for a lot of people and I may be wrong... but I haven't really heard anyone say "I'm so excited about playing CoD in 3D."

Ya know? Just... idk. Seems like they're pushing it too soon. Honestly, they need to work on the HD standard being 1600p before they try to push 3D viewing on us. Us computer gamers have been playing games in HD for years and years before HD TV came out. Most of us thought it was a gimmick back then, too. It still kind of is. But 3D will never catch on, that's just my thinking on the matter. No one wants to play games with glasses on. It's just ridiculous. Not to mention the 100 dollar pricetag for looking that cool. +300 more dollars for the monitor that supports it.

I played Bioshock 2 the other day and in the menu, it has an option to turn 3D on. I cannot imagine 3D affecting that game positively.

I dont understand why Everyones calling 3D gaming a 'Gimmick', Even the press has been Bashing on it. Have you Ever tried 3D gaming for yourself? Probably not as you've just stated that you cant imagine what it would look like. Perhaps if you actually tried it you'd have a less Biased Veiw.

Besides its not like 3D is something new thats being pushed, 3D monitors have been arround for Years it just hasnt been advertised 'in your face' like it is being now. Infact just shy of 2 yeas ago i was going to buy an IZ3D monitor which at the time was the best solution because it all came in one package. Its only Real competiton was nVidias 3D vision, but you have to buy a monitor and the Vision kit Separate so it turns out more expensive.

Personally im Very excited and i've been keeping close tabs on ATI's new 3D vision solution which should be out in just a few months, its non propriatary so you ar'nt bogged down like you would be with an nVidia 3D Vision kit. To the OP id suggest waiting because if you go with the current solutions you wont be getting the best 3D experience. ATI and LG are part of the S-3D gaming alliance (though ati isnt listed, anyone who's keeping tabs on 3D tech news knows they are) http://www.s3dga.com/ so id Suggest buying an LG or Samsung (i think theres already a few 3D ready models out with the glasses) :thumbs-up:

Some CES Footage which i think you'll find interesting

Im definatly going to be jumping onto this, i've been waiting a long time and i think the 3D solution in that link proves that the Tech isnt as primative as people are making it out to be. the Drivers/software he is talking about will probably be provided By IZ3D because they too are part of the S-3D gaming alliance. Looking forward to 3D gaming on my 5870 :) by the way PowerDVD 10 is going to have a patch released in a few months which willl let you watch your DVD's and Blu Rays in 3D, heres their website: http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdvd...view_en_US.html Edited by SenitaL

• 7 months later...

gim·mick   

[gim-ik] Show IPA

–noun

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, esp. one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.

a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.

Electronics Informal . a capacitor formed by intertwining two insulated wires.

When I read some of the earlier posts which referred to 3D as a gimmick, I assumed from the context that definition #2 of the above dictionary definitions, was the one being used, however, the reality of it all is that 3D is actually more accurately defined by definition #1.

3D, in my opinion, is for sure, "an ingenious or novel device". It works wonderfully. The only downside or "gimmick" as some might like to see it, is that it is expensive. Is it worth it? Well, its worth is a matter of opinion, but I can tell you from personal experience, that it is a fully functional technology that does what it is supposed to do; add depth to a 2 dimensional image. In some cases, it works extremely well, in other cases, not so much. I don't know exactly how a game or movie needs to be produced/programmed in order for it to work with the 3D technology, so I can't tell you why some games or movies use the 3D technology better than others, but that is indeed the case. If I'm not mistaken, a standard rating system is either in effect or in the process of becoming a standard (perhaps manufacturer specific at the moment), which is supposed to inform the customer as to how 3D intense the game/movie is. Some games come with a high 3D rating as they were developed with the intention of using 3D technology. Other games come with a low rating, so, it's understandable that even some people who have had experience with 3D technology, may still feel dissatisfied with it, because they were subjected to poor examples. One of my recent personal experiences with the technology was with the game "Batman: Arkham Asylum" for the PC. I used NVidia's 3D VIsion with a 23" ASUS 3D monitor (it came as a package, and is very good if you're interested in a monitor that size). The gaming experience I had was, without a doubt, more fun, interesting, and exciting in 3D. It has convinced me to spend what saved up money I have on the same or a similar setup, which is the reason I even came across this site and this particular thread, to look for information on the best 3D monitors out to date.

World of Warcraft Cataclysm was just released. I'm an active player and knowing now how much 3D can add to the video gaming experience, the desire to explore the areas in the latest expansion in 3D has become so great that I've decided it's worth however much it's going to cost to add that visual effect not only to this expansion, but to all games and movies that offer compatibility in the the future.

3D technology is great, will only get better from here, and when used properly, will only benefit movies and games. To me, 3D is to visual media what color was to the black and white era.

Here is a good recent thread from another site, regarding the same topic, to maybe pull some information from regarding different 3D monitors. Good hunting.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/303757-33-best-monitor-gaming

BTW - I know I'm a thread necro, but I wanted to share my opinion. I feel it could help any who may be on a similar path to finding out information on 3D monitors and comes across this site the way I did.

Edited by MLSCrow

3D gaming is incredibly interesting to me for the 120Hz aspect. I feel like the actual 3D part would negatively affect my vision since RealD 3D movies do. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure I will some day.

I'm hoping it takes off so I can build my next system with three 120Hz monitors without going broke :)

Currently there are a few interesting options but nothing ground-breaking... and nothing at a price point that would interest me. The Acer one is too orange and the others seem to be maintaining their high prices.

If I were to build a system right now I would opt for the ViewSonic 22" VX2268WM because it's cheap, and my framerates would reach acceptable (to me) levels with less investment due to the 1680x1050 resolution per monitor.

Currently the best 3D monitor IMHO is Alienware OptX™ AW2310. I've tried other brands including sub 1080p resolutions, but Alienware is currently the best. It doesn't have the glossy reflection of other monitors, yet it is fairly bright to compensate for active shutter glasses' light-loss.

Thera are a couple of potential problems with the 3D gaming. It can cause 1) a headache or 2) possibly make your eye sight to go bad in a long run. Your vision may suffer after prolong exposure to an articial 3D gaming environment. I had a perfect 20/20 vision until I started to program on ol' CRT monitors in early 90's for 12+ hours a day. Unlike current flat pannel monitors, older fish-bowl CRT monitors won't converge sharp around the edges. If you stare at them for hours like I did as a programmer, your eyes will work extra hard try to focus on them. However, you can't focus on something that is already blurry. Although I can't prove it, I think it eventually caused my eye sight to go bad (make me a near-sighted) within a year. Most of my friends and colleagues, whom had perfect visions back in 90's, became near sighted within a mere couple of years too. Once we upgraded to flat pannel monitors in late 90's, our eye sight stayed vitrually same. Playing 3D games gives me similar feeling of 20 years ago. In a first person shooter games with rapidly changing scenes, you can't really lock on focus easily like 2D game. Your eyes will try to focus on articially blurred image and afterwhile, it may even slow you down. Frankly, 3D games are fun, but I play most of them in 2D. I hope this helps!

• 2 months later...

Currently the best 3D monitor IMHO is Alienware OptX™ AW2310. I've tried other brands including sub 1080p resolutions, but Alienware is currently the best. It doesn't have the glossy reflection of other monitors, yet it is fairly bright to compensate for active shutter glasses' light-loss.

Thera are a couple of potential problems with the 3D gaming. It can cause 1) a headache or 2) possibly make your eye sight to go bad in a long run. Your vision may suffer after prolong exposure to an articial 3D gaming environment. I had a perfect 20/20 vision until I started to program on ol' CRT monitors in early 90's for 12+ hours a day. Unlike current flat pannel monitors, older fish-bowl CRT monitors won't converge sharp around the edges. If you stare at them for hours like I did as a programmer, your eyes will work extra hard try to focus on them. However, you can't focus on something that is already blurry. Although I can't prove it, I think it eventually caused my eye sight to go bad (make me a near-sighted) within a year. Most of my friends and colleagues, whom had perfect visions back in 90's, became near sighted within a mere couple of years too. Once we upgraded to flat pannel monitors in late 90's, our eye sight stayed vitrually same. Playing 3D games gives me similar feeling of 20 years ago. In a first person shooter games with rapidly changing scenes, you can't really lock on focus easily like 2D game. Your eyes will try to focus on articially blurred image and afterwhile, it may even slow you down. Frankly, 3D games are fun, but I play most of them in 2D. I hope this helps!

I think as they come up with more natural ways of seeing 3d gaming it won't bother everyone quite as much. The new Nintendo 3Dsi is one example of that. You could try the Asus VG236H gaming monitor. It's pretty expensive but it's been getting really good reviews on Newegg and Amazon. It has a RT of 2ms and 120hz refresh rate as well.