Need some help picking out a mobo and memory

So I've been reading up on a lot of reviews but I still can't decide what to get. I have to choose between:

this XFX x58i

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=40179

and this UD3R from Gygabyte

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=34709

Now I know the gigabyte one is better but the XFX is 30 pounds cheaper. That's about 50 $. The difference is that it will make the difference whether I buy either a GTX 275 or a Fermi 470. The Gigabyte one has DDR3 800 / 1066 / 1333 / 2000 support . Why does it just jump to 2000? xD Why does it discriminate the 1600 frequency like that? or is the 2000 the maximum to which you can overclock it? I don't know. My question is: are the 50$ really worth it? I am not planning on overclocking it too much except to be able to get some 1600 ram on it. The CPU that will go in it is an i7 920:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=39982

Now my next questions are about the memory. x58 is well known for triple channel memory but I'd prefer to go dual channel for now as I am on a budget.My question is : If I buy 4 gigs of ram now that are in dual channel can i just buy another stick of 2 GB of RAM (same model and type of course) and place it in triple channel with the rest of my 4 GB or do I have to buy 6 new GB of RAM. I am asking because whenever I see RAM it usually has Dual channel or triple channel in its description.

Here's a list of RAM:http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Memory/

I am not sure what to pick. With these 2 mobos i have mentioned can I use 1600 memory or do i have to get 1333?

I'll appreciate any info or opinion on this matter.

Your Friend, Rofltroll

So I've been reading up on a lot of reviews but I still can't decide what to get. I have to choose between:

this XFX x58i

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=40179

and this UD3R from Gygabyte

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=34709

Now I know the gigabyte one is better but the XFX is 30 pounds cheaper. That's about 50 $. The difference is that it will make the difference whether I buy either a GTX 275 or a Fermi 470. The Gigabyte one has DDR3 800 / 1066 / 1333 / 2000 support . Why does it just jump to 2000? xD Why does it discriminate the 1600 frequency like that? or is the 2000 the maximum to which you can overclock it? I don't know. My question is: are the 50$ really worth it? I am not planning on overclocking it too much except to be able to get some 1600 ram on it. The CPU that will go in it is an i7 920:

http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Other+...productId=39982

Now my next questions are about the memory. x58 is well known for triple channel memory but I'd prefer to go dual channel for now as I am on a budget.My question is : If I buy 4 gigs of ram now that are in dual channel can i just buy another stick of 2 GB of RAM (same model and type of course) and place it in triple channel with the rest of my 4 GB or do I have to buy 6 new GB of RAM. I am asking because whenever I see RAM it usually has Dual channel or triple channel in its description.

Here's a list of RAM:http://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecials/Memory/

I am not sure what to pick. With these 2 mobos i have mentioned can I use 1600 memory or do i have to get 1333?

I'll appreciate any info or opinion on this matter.

Your Friend, Rofltroll

The XFX x58i board seems to have some issues from the few comments that I was able to find with a quick search.. Though most of the comments I saw where fairly old (6+ months) some of the more recent ones indicated quality issue with the asembly of the board.

As far as getting 2 sticks of ram to run duo channel then later getting another stick to go triple shold work fine (given it has the same spec's, worse case you might have to loosin' up the timings a bit)

The gigabyte board will run 1600 speed ram just fine.

Is Aria the only place you can get parts at? I'd look around and compare prices :)

Looks like they are having a discount on the 2 boards you are look at when I checked..

The XFX x58i board seems to have some issues from the few comments that I was able to find with a quick search.. Though most of the comments I saw where fairly old (6+ months) some of the more recent ones indicated quality issue with the asembly of the board.

As far as getting 2 sticks of ram to run duo channel then later getting another stick to go triple shold work fine (given it has the same spec's, worse case you might have to loosin' up the timings a bit)

Is Aria the only place you can get parts at? I'd look around and compare prices :)

Looks like they are having a discount on the 2 boards you are look at when I checked..

Personally I would go Gigabyte, get a 5830 or 5850 and buy the triple channel (1600MHz).

Personally I would go Gigabyte, get a 5830 or 5850 and buy the triple channel (1600MHz).

No need for triple channel. He said he is on a budget but there is an idea. Go with a 5850 or 5830, dual channel and the Gigabyte UD3R. Forget the GTX 275 old technology.

You can easily add ram in the future. Just make sure the sticks are same brand and model but put the new sticks in the same channel and you will be cool.

Edited by Drdeath

Aria has pretty much the best prices in the UK. I am from Romania but i have a friend there and he'll be bringing them here so I don't have to worry about shipping prices or quality. Prices in the UK are better than here.

No need for triple channel. He said he is on a budget but there is an idea. Go with a 5850 or 5830, dual channel and the Gigabyte UD3R. Forget the GTX 275 old technology.

You can easily add ram in the future. Just make sure the sticks are same brand and model but put the new sticks in the same channel and you will be cool.

I was really interested in the 470's technology. I don't like to go ATI because the 5xxx series even though has great performance and DX 11 it's pretty bad with tessellation(the main thing about DX 11). The 275 at least has PhysX and i will be able to use it as a PhysX card in the future. Plus I have an 1280 monitor so i think the 275 can max out any game ('sep for Metro 2033 - what is UP with that insanely resource expensive game? ) That XFX mobo was kind of a long shot, though. I was pretty sure that getting it would be a bad decision ... just needed reassurance from you guys.

Edited by Rofltroll

I was really interested in the 470's technology. I don't like to go ATI because the 5xxx series even though has great performance and DX 11 it's pretty bad with tessellation(the main thing about DX 11). The 275 at least has PhysX and i will be able to use it as a PhysX card in the future. Plus I have an 1280 monitor so i think the 275 can max out any game ('sep for Metro 2033 - what is UP with that insanely resource expensive game? ) That XFX mobo was kind of a long shot, though. I was pretty sure that getting it would be a bad decision ... just needed reassurance from you guys.

Fair enough and well said but the GTX275 only supports DX10 not DX11 so the 470 would be the wisest choice IMO. the Gigabyte X58-UD3R supports SLI and crossfire so that is also a wise choice like Zertz suggested.. Mine overclocks great!

Edited by Drdeath