sdy284

sdy's x6 HTPC

HTPC need a good and fast processor , a gpu in not necessary u should use the 4200 onboard.

Quite the opposite is true. You can have a low-end dual-core CPU, and a mainstream graphics card to do video decoding (for playback). The only reason you can get away with the HD4200 onboard graphics is because the GPU does have H.264 decoding, not all integrated graphics chips have this important feature.

My HTPC is an Opteron 170 (AMD X2 @ 2 GHz) with 2GB DDR1, and a HD4850 running passive cooled... the 4850 is actually overkill as the 3D is hardly used. All you need is full H.264 decoding on the graphics card. So I could use a "crappy" card from the HD4000 series, but I stick with the 4850 since it has 3D capabilities for games and visualisations, as mentioned by Waco :)

Basically, you can run a HTPC on lower power, quieter, and cooler, by making use of H.264 decoding on a GPU (onboard or card) rather than relying on brute force CPU power.

Man, I hate you as well. :lol:

Can't wait to see it all done and put together.

Quite the opposite is true. You can have a low-end dual-core CPU, and a mainstream graphics card to do video decoding (for playback).

My HTPC is an Opteron 170 (AMD X2 @ 2 GHz) with 2GB DDR1, and a HD4850 running passive cooled... the 4850 is actually overkill as the 3D is hardly used. All you need is full H.264 decoding on the graphics card. So I could use a "crappy" card from the HD4000 series, but I stick with the 4850 since it has 3D capabilities for games and visualisations, as mentioned by Waco :)

+1

If I was ripping tons of movies, then a fast multicore CPU would be advantageous, but since i'm not going that... I purchased it because I knew i'd be folding. and eventually I am going to rip all my DVD's to my hdd

Quite the opposite is true. You can have a low-end dual-core CPU, and a mainstream graphics card to do video decoding (for playback). The only reason you can get away with the HD4200 onboard graphics is because the GPU does have H.264 decoding, not all integrated graphics chips have this important feature.

Basically, you can run a HTPC on lower power, quieter, and cooler, by making use of H.264 decoding on a GPU (onboard or card) rather than relying on brute force CPU power.

ATI's 4 series and up decode both H.264 and VC1.

Nvidia's start at the 9 series I think but they only decode H.264 as far as I know.

this is OVERCLOCKERSclub, not ADEQUATEclub :P

and since i'm big into folding: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/use...?s=&u=37093 & http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/tea...?s=&t=12772 I figured this 6 core CPU will snag me some solid PPD as well :)

no hard feelings mate :P

More like stockclockers club.... :lol: :lol: To bad it doesnt have enough cores to get the bigadv WUs...

More like stockclockers club.... :lol: :lol: To bad it doesnt have enough cores to get the bigadv WUs...

I thought it's all about actually making the deadline? I could've sworn that you could get bigadv's on quads too... but it just wasn't worth it cuz they wouldn't reach the deadline. And besides this rig is getting 4gb of ram, so it's not enough for me to run a VM.

but this thing should tear through a3's :)

I think he's under the impression it does...

he's been talking my ear off about me doing them too... ;)

I got the same set up sans the case...

I thought it's all about actually making the deadline? I could've sworn that you could get bigadv's on quads too... but it just wasn't worth it cuz they wouldn't reach the deadline. And besides this rig is getting 4gb of ram, so it's not enough for me to run a VM.

but this thing should tear through a3's :)

Nope, 8 cores real or virtual has to be detected or no go on bigadv, that is why I have all i7s now and got rid of all quads/dual core stuff...

Edit: You can sneaker net it back and forth if you have a 8 core rig which you do...

Edited by road-runner

Nope, 8 cores real or virtual has to be detected or no go on bigadv, that is why I have all i7s now and got rid of all quads/dual core stuff...

Edit: You can sneaker net it back and forth if you have a 8 core rig which you do...

sneaker net? i currently am folding bigadv on my i7...

sneaker net? i currently am folding bigadv on my i7...

Get a WU on your i7, copy to flash drive, put on your sneakers and run over to the 6 core rig and run till almost finished, copy it back put on your sneakers run back to the i7 rig to submit results...

Sneakernet is a tongue-in-cheek term used to describe the transfer of electronic information, especially computer files, by physically couriering removable media such as magnetic tape, floppy disks, compact discs, USB flash drives, or external hard drives from one computer to another. This is usually in lieu of transferring the information over a computer network. This mode of data transport is often used as an academic example to illustrate the trade-off between latency and bandwidth.

More about it the folding forum... http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14244

Edited by road-runner