Crap knife?

Onion

Basically, how do I tell the difference between a crappy balisong and a decent balisong? It doesn't seem all that crappy, but it was ridiculously cheap. It doesn't say what kind of steel it is, and it doesn't say where it was made either. It isn't paper light like most crappy knives though. The only problem I've seen on it is that the 2 torx screws that connect the handle to the blade have loosened over time.

Edit: Its a sandwich construction as well, but I know that sucks.

Edited by l33t p1mp

post-67657-1272457681_thumb.jpg

I found these lying around the house. These are my dad's. The bigger balisong is crappy, I don't know anything about the metal but I think its not good. The handle is made of brass and plastic (red).

The smaller one is good, its made of carbon steel of some sort. The handle is made of brass and wood.

The handles and blade are connected with steel rods hammered in place.

These are made locally. I live in the Philippines. Most authentic

blades are made/forged from junk Leaf Springs. I don't know how much these cost today but it's safe to say its around 2-10 USD.

Thanks for the info.

Mine was about 30 bucks, but I'm not sure if the handle is aluminum or stainless steel. Does anyone know how to check?

Weigh it. Stainless steel weighs much more than the same physical volume of aluminium. If a magnet sticks, it's definitely a low-grade stainless steel and not quite as austenitic (depends on chromium and nickel content). Generally, stainless steel is non-magnetic. You'd be able to tell from the strength as well. Aluminium on a blade that thickness would be very easy to bend.

Not to mention that aluminium has a very dull finish over time.

Can you see where this is going? :lol:

Weigh it. Stainless steel weighs much more than the same physical volume of aluminium. If a magnet sticks, it's definitely a low-grade stainless steel and not quite as austenitic (depends on chromium and nickel content). Generally, stainless steel is non-magnetic. You'd be able to tell from the strength as well. Aluminium on a blade that thickness would be very easy to bend.

Not to mention that aluminium has a very dull finish over time.

Can you see where this is going? :lol:

The blade isn't magnetic, nor is the handle part, and it isn't THAT light, so I'm guessing really crappy steel? The blade isn't flexible at all, and it's pretty dang sharp, but the sandwich handle kinda is. If I pinch the sandwich handle at the middle, it bends inwards a little bit.