Sign in to follow this  
XxHellxRaizerxX

Laptop Screen Brightness

I can't adjust the brightness of my screen on my Dell Studio 1558. I've tried using both the control panel settings and the function keys. When using the function keys the meter moves down one notch and stops, but no difference in brightness. It's stuck at 100%

I have all of the necessary drivers installed.

right click on your desktop & click graphics properties. from there you should have some settings & there should be one for brightness control

right click on your desktop & click graphics properties. from there you should have some settings & there should be one for brightness control

Yea that works but it's still not the backlight brightness which is what I'm interested in. I'm still awaiting a reply from Dell.. hopefully I don't have to send it in...

Have you tried restarting? This has happened to me on various computers (Apple, HP, Asus) and a simple reboot often fixes the problem.

All of the function keys are operational. The brightness keys show the brightness meter when I hit them, it just doesn't move.

And no I have not checked for an updated bios, could that potentially fix it?

Edit: I already have the most up to date BIOS

Edited by XxHellxRaizerxX

I had the same problem after a clean install of Windows 7 HP with the drivers from the supported Dell Driver DVD. I finally found the fix by installing the latest version of the gfx driver from the Intel page. Note that you can't install the driver over the one from Dell. I had nothing really installed so I did a clean install again. Maybe uninstalling/removing the driver also works. Probably Dell will update the drivers later.

The video driver for the Dell 1569 (R247320.exe) seems to work on the Dell Studio 15 model 1558 and it fixes this problem.

If not, you can always override the screen brightness manually:

setpci -s 02.0 f4.b=#

, whereas # is the screen brightness between 0 and FF.