i7 temperature question

I'm shooting for 4GHz with my i7-920, I've got it at 3.8 GHz right now and when I run prime95 the temperatures normally range from high 60s to low 70s. When I'm running a game though they don't exceed the mid 50s. Is this a safe range, and based on what I've said so far do I have much headroom left? VCORE is 1.2 BTW.

***EDIT***

To rephrase the question, what would be the highest prime95 temperature you'd feel safe running with 24/7?

Edited by Baronofcheese

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tcase max for the intel i7 920 is 67.9C

Temperatures at some thresh hold above that may trigger throttling dependent on whether TM protection or Adaptive Thermal Monitoring is enabled or disabled in the BIOS. However, my general thought is that anything 70C or below is ok for long term use. IMHO, once you get above that mark the life span of the processor will probably be degraded - by how much is open to speculation. And don't forget all of the "great" over temp protections that Intel has put into place on the 900 series processors.

Edited by wevsspot

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to break the 4GHz barrier without some serious overvolting though :(

***EDIT*** Now I know this is off topic, but based on your experiences with the i7, what's the highest voltage you'd recommend without really affecting longevity too much? Would 1.3 have an adverse effect?

Edited by Baronofcheese

75-80C in Prime is fine -- normal use is far less stressful than that anyway

I'm more averse to risk than others :) Especially after having just spent $600 more dollars on a processor and motherboard.......

OP - since Zertz is an official reviewer at OCC I would follow his recommendation. Me.... I'll stay at 70C or lower since I don't get any freebies :)

1.35 is the intel spec limit for i7 i think? with proper cooling 1.3 shouldn't be bad

Correct + 1.35 or slightly above is very safe for these processors using adequate cooling. But most of them will hit 3.8Ghz easily at stock or near stock vcore.

1.35 is the intel spec limit for i7 i think? with proper cooling 1.3 shouldn't be bad

Ahhh buggars. I and many others run 1.4v easily. Its not so uch voltage degregates a chip it is heat. I have great cooling and hit high 70's at 1.4-1.42v. Keep load temps under 80 and give it a lil more voltage. it will be OK.

Ahhh buggars. I and many others run 1.4v easily. Its not so much voltage degregates a chip it is heat. I have great cooling and hit high 70's at 1.4-1.42v. Keep load temps under 80 and give it a lil more voltage. it will be OK.

actually, voltage will degrade a processor more than heat, but 1.4v should give you a good 5 years with adequate cooling. I've seen where people will absolutely burn out their CPU with excessive(as in not 1.4v) voltage even with sub-zero cooling