Best VGA Ram Heatsinks

brad257

really, there isn't much you can do to make heatsinks "better"

just find some copper ones & some good paste/adhesive (thats a combination, not either or) and you'll be good to go

would you recommend thermal adhesive pads or are they a bad idea?

Also once you stick a heatsink to the memory is there anyway of getting it off without ripping the chip off the board?

Thanks again

Brad

would you recommend thermal adhesive pads or are they a bad idea?

Also once you stick a heatsink to the memory is there anyway of getting it off without ripping the chip off the board?

Thanks again

Brad

I would say that pads don't conduct the heat quite as well as an actual thermal paste, but unless you're going for some crazy overclocks... it really won't matter & if you're concerned with taking off the sinks off, then use thermal pads. if you're ok with a near-permanent solution, then use the paste/adhesive solution

I bought the card off of ebay and some of the heatsinks are damaged i was going to replace them but they are stuck on pretty well, i would imagine by a paste/adhesive like you have mentioned, is there anyway of getting these off the chips?

Thanks

Brad

its relatively easy to remove stuff stuck on with epoxy. get a hair drier, or a hot air blower of sum sort, then set it on maximum heat and power, and just put it above your ramsinks. using either gloves or a towel (because those ramsinks get hot) keep twisting it from side to side gently, not forcing it really heavily, but quite hard. you'll have to take your hand away sometimes cos it gets too hot. eventually they will come off and then quickly use rubbing alcohol to remove the thermal adhesive cos that stuff gets hard to remove when cold

hope it works for ya, remember, dont force them off too hard

ya i mean really there's going to be a minimal difference between whatever you get, so you can almost go based on looks really. If i remember correctly, copper is better at actually pulling the heat away and aluminum is better at dissipating it. but when you're dealing with such small sinks, it really won't matter that much :)