Sign in to follow this  
airman

Theremin

I've always been into crazy and different instruments, i.e. for those of you who remember my PVC instrument, and I've known about the theremin for a while. For those of you who don't know what a theremin is, you play it without touching it. It uses proximity to two antennae that control both pitch and volume. Before I found a few videos online of the theremin, the ones that I've come across in the past weren't really used for "instrumental" purposes, more for like special effects and CV outputs for controlling other effects and synths.

But then, I found one made my Moog and started checking out videos...and some of the skill that some people have with this thing is amazing! So, naturally, being into things like this, I had to pick one up. I am a very musical person, I have great pitch (I can tune a guitar by ear), and I've been able to play pretty much any instrument that I wanna learn.

That's Randy George, he is probably the best thereminist alive right now. He's got a few other videos but I think the sound he makes with this is the most impressive. He has the Etherwave Pro, which is no longer produced, and would cost well into the thousands if you were to purchase one today. The Pro has a lot more effects and control compared to the Etherwave Standard that I have.

Anyone seen/heard/have one of these?

Here's mine:

post-5662-1272122788_thumb.jpg

Edited by airman

These devices/instruments have always intrigued me, they seem pretty neat...

My buddy built one of these when we were in college. Needless to say all the neighbors grew to hate us extra hard, as we tried to incorporate it in our music. It didn't help that we were fairly terrible at music to begin with. I've been thinking of making one for myself, but I guess not seriously enough yet, some day Future Fil will have to build one of these.

it takes a lot of control and coordination. you HAVE to be able to hear pitch. guitar, eh not really - you just make sure the thing is in tune and you mash a fret and it will play. piano is the same way, hit a key, and it plays the right note. a theremin is more like a violin/other fretless string instruments, or like a trombone. luckily i'm not bad enough (second day i've had it) to discourage me from practicing. haha. i'm sure in a few months when i get it down right, i'll be posting a video :)

haha that's awesome. I was never too great at instruments, but I think I'm becoming "decent" on guitar. Tried piano for a bit, but i never really had access to one on a regular basis, so that didn't go to far. I think my method of transcribing guitar tunes on the fly to learn piano was also quite terrible for learning purposes. That guy is quite nasty at the theremin, I don't think I have the ear to do any of that. I also found a number of videos with

. I think i'd be slightly better than the cats, but not by much. How are your neighbors liking your theremin? :P

That is pretty neat watched a video of a guy doing Creep from Radiohead.

haha yeah. lucky dude has the super expensive ultra nice theremin that they don't make anymore.

but randy george's videos are the best. especially if you're a Daft Punk fan, he's got a cover he did. I almost like it more than the original :D