Any bodybuilders here?

Gr4vitas

Id like to know as well.. I am starting a weight reg. soon.

Currently I am only running 3-5days a week.

Once in a while I will do 190lbs on the triceps machine about 10 reps or until my arms give out.

Then I call it a day and go home.

How many reps. do you do with your work out, how long is your break, and how many times do you re-do it? (If that makes any sense)

I do also mean for your entire work out.

As for reps / rest / sets etc etc (sets are how many times you do your set amounts of reps, IE: 50 pounds for 10 reps at 2 sets, equals 20 total reps with a rest between the first 10 and the second ten)

You should be lifting 75% of your 1 rep maximum. You should be doing between 8 and 12 reps at failure. If you can't do 8 or doing more than 12 your using ether too light a weight or too heavy a weight.

4-5 sets for each workout. When I did my legs the other day, because I had the intention of slamming then I did like 6 sets but at the end I was only doing like 4 reps in the set.

Edit: Oh and no more than 60 seconds break between sets.

Edited by Gr4vitas

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work out 6 days a week.

monday - chest back

tues - shouldres upper arms forearms

wed - thighs calves lower back

thurs - chest back

fri - shoulders upper arms forearms

sat - thighs calves lower back

Don't forget your core. The body's core is extremely important and should be a regular part of your workout regimen. I know it might sound strange but even though you are trying to bulk up and go for the bodybuilding look you also don't want to forget to do cardio as it helps keep your muscles loose and twitchy which is important for muscle growth and strength enhancement.

btw, I don't know what rep system you use but I have always been partial to the 10..8..6..4..2 system where you start with your lightest weight at 10 and then increase your weight resistance as you go lower down to 2 reps. I personally see the best results out of this rep system. For example my current bench regimen goes like this: 10 reps @ 165, 8 reps @ 185, 6 reps @ 225, 4 reps @ 275, 2 reps @ 295.

Don't forget your core. The body's core is extremely important and should be a regular part of your workout regimen. I know it might sound strange but even though you are trying to bulk up and go for the bodybuilding look you also don't want to forget to do cardio as it helps keep your muscles loose and twitchy which is important for muscle growth and strength enhancement.

btw, I don't know what rep system you use but I have always been partial to the 10..8..6..4..2 system where you start with your lightest weight at 10 and then increase your weight resistance as you go lower down to 2 reps. I personally see the best results out of this rep system. For example my current bench regimen goes like this: 10 reps @ 165, 8 reps @ 185, 6 reps @ 225, 4 reps @ 275, 2 reps @ 295.

Thanks for the tips!!

As for my core, I forgot to mention I work abdominals (everything core related) every day.

I'll have to look into your rep system, I've just been going by what I read in arnolds bodybuilding encyclopedia which is just a rough / standard method that should be fine tuned to how you / your body needs to be worked out.

But I have heard of / read of that system and I'm going to give that a shot. Being that I'm an ectomorph I've read that essentially I want to almost be power lifting, rather than doing say 8 to 12 reps doing maybe 5-8 reps with a higher weight in order to build mass being that I've already got all the lean I need (at least for now).

Also, I've been reading a lot on the ectomorph body and it seems like I'm losing motivation to continue with the bodybuilding sport the more I read. It seems like its going to be nearly impossible for me to build mass. What I've read just really kills my motivation and makes me kind of want to give up. I really wish I had a good work out partner, someone who is experienced with bodybuilding and someone who can keep me motivated in general but also in the gym doing my work out.

Oh well, maybe I'll try to reach out and see if there is any kind of bodybuilding community at all here in New Hampshire. Maybe find some kind of club or something.

Want the best source for weight and muscle gain I have ever found? www.scoobysworkshop.com all free workout guides and nutrition information. Guy is really cool

I already watch his YouTube videos religeously and I've been on his site for a while now lol

But I have heard of / read of that system and I'm going to give that a shot. Being that I'm an ectomorph I've read that essentially I want to almost be power lifting, rather than doing say 8 to 12 reps doing maybe 5-8 reps with a higher weight in order to build mass being that I've already got all the lean I need (at least for now).

Power lifting to gain mass then I would definitely recommend a rep system at least similar to the one I mentioned. Will give you better results in the lifting department than the traditional 3 sets of 10/15 etc.

Power lifting to gain mass then I would definitely recommend a rep system at least similar to the one I mentioned. Will give you better results in the lifting department than the traditional 3 sets of 10/15 etc.

Yea I hear ya.

I already watch his YouTube videos religeously and I've been on his site for a while now lol

Yea he is such a goofy guy but has a lot of good knowledge about this kind of stuff ive recently got back on his guides after a few years of working at a bar and getting fat :/

I follow a template made by one of the guys in the RIT Weightlifting club.

Monday - Max Effort Upper Body

Wednesday - Max Effort Lower Body

Friday - Repetition Effort Upper Body

Saturday - Repetition Effort Lower Body, currently replaced with strongman training.

I've gained considerable strength over the few months I've been on this program.

I was never able to effectively create my own program, so I've stopped trying. Something I would recommend to beginners is the Madcow 5x5 template, followed exactly.

• 2 weeks later...

Woohoo, tiny bit of determination is paying off. :lol: Too bad I have to keep doing this for a while...

Edit: Oh and you may have noticed that my hair is normal again lol. :P

DSCN1601.jpg

Edited by l33t p1mp