Any bodybuilders here?

Gr4vitas

I have never read that to much protein was bad for your heart but I do know if you take to much your body will not use it, you will end up with diarrhoea or just peeing it out. I use the general rule of 1g of protein for every body pound. So if you weigh 180lbs then you should be taking in 180g of protein. Now if your not working out hard then I would say a little less protein would be better....protein speeds up muscle healing and aids in faster recovery....so if your in the gym tearing up your muscles then protein is worth your while....if you just want to lose weight or do cardio then a little bit of protein is ok. I do 4 protein shakes a day.....the most important one is right before bed because your body repairs it self while you sleep.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a hard time gaining weight...but I haven't tried in a while. I've been between 165-175 lbs for at least 8 years now. I can't really comment about gaining weight, however, I'll echo all of the good lifting habits:

Eat often. Small amounts.

Get PLENTY of rest. If you're lifting too often, it won't help. Your body has to adequately recuperate your muscles.

You need to stay hydrated.

Have a planned routine work: reps, weight, and # of sets. Keep track of where you stand with maxes, etc. A simple log might be helpful to keep tabs on your progress.

Last, but definitely not least...STRETCH!!

I have been recently losing weight, and I have been working on my upper body.. But I am not huge in to Body Building.

Supplements I use on a daily basis include Cell-Tech Hardcore Creatine, GNC 100% Whey Protein, L-Glutamine.

Been taking everything for roughly 2/3months. I have gone from roughly 230lbs to 200lbs as of this week. I am 5' 6".

I am not really in to the building muscle part yet. I have been trying to lose weight. Ive been running on the Elliptical about 3-5days a week for 60mins.

I usually pull off 6+miles in 60mins on the Elliptical.

One thing I wanted to add to what I have been reading. I am not 100% positive on this, but I think you intaking 200+g of protein a day might be bad for you.

Unless you are doing some hardcore bodybuilding like 3hrs a day hardcore. That much protein is bad for your heart..

When I was reading a while back I read about 75g of Protein was all you needed even for Bodybuilders.

I would just be careful. Maybe talk to a Doctor or a Nutritionist or something about the protein intake. I would hate to see you have any problems in the future for ingesting that much.

I could be wrong, but I just read this and like I said, I don't want to see/hear about anyone getting hurt or whatever from taking too much of a supplement.

If you want to save yourself some money, drop the Cell tech. It is just creatine mono, sugar, and flavor. Way overpriced for what is in it.

Your the one I was thinking about!!!!!!!! I knew that some one here had mentioned they were into body building but I just couldn't remember for the life of me who it was!!!! Glad to here your back on the iron!!!! Since you beat me in the folding arena maybe we should have a body building square off :ph34r: :ph34r: LOL......I don't think these guy here would remember our folding comp lol........

awww so nice of you to think of me. hahaha...........Yea I doubt many remember that...An OCC bodybuilding square off? Sounds intriguing! lol :)

Crazy Nate hit the nail on the head guys.....something I forgot to mention...WARM UP.....STRETCH....10-15 mins.....if you don't then you risk some serious injury and that will set you back...the time you spend warming up may just save you months down the road. All the supplements they sell only 1-5% actually do something for you.....They will promise you anything to get you to buy. Like I said before, I only use bsn no explode and whey protein...I did my research. Don't waste your money on get big and ripped products....The only thing that will get you big fast is juice and I really hope you are all smart enough to stay away from that crap....diet and hard work will prevail!!!!!!!

Go natural. Buy a juicer, mix in broccoli, carrots, etc.. with some fruit like apples, strawberries... no need for supplements. Eat 4-6 eggs daily.

Edited by El_Capitan

awww so nice of you to think of me. hahaha...........Yea I doubt many remember that...An OCC bodybuilding square off? Sounds intriguing! lol :)

Well first I just want to say, I want to reply to about a dozen posts but I simply can't lol, secondly I'm pretty surprised this thread kind of took off, it seems like a lot of people are caring more about there health these days and its great to see so many people doing something to keep healthy.

So whether it be to stay in shape / lead a healthy lifestyle or lose weight, or your looking into the more hardcore aspect and are going for bodybuilding / competition the bodybuilding sport is great.

Since I stopped eating sweets 100% and stopped rinking soda's etc etc I've felt so much better, so much more energy, no getting tired mid way through the day, going to bed at good hours (rather than being up untill 3am simply because I'm not tired) regardless of whether or not I ever make it to the pro's with bodybuilding I'm just excited about leading a healthy lifestyle.

So anyway Nerm, a bodybuilding square off it is!!!! I figure 13 months and I'll be almost at competition level if I really work hard.

I hope this thread stays alive, its great to know that some other folks are also interested in the sport.

Up here in NH there aren't exactly an abundance of people who are into the sport, I have yet to be able to find anyone that was interested it in no matter if there advanced or not. I really wish I could find someone to chat with about bodybuilding (preferably someone experienced / already competing in competitions) but since I doubt I'll actually find anyone around these parts, at least I can chat with some of the more experienced folk here on OCC!

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

there you go, they only have about 2.2 million members though :P

Eh, I've never found those forums to be very helpful, a lot of poeple on there are jerks, and aren't really interested in helping out a newbie. Granted there are a few nice guys on there but in general it just seems kind of... meh