Mobile (work truck) Laptop questions

Renigade

I have to put my laptop in my service truck. right now its on a board in the back seat of my truck. I am a DBA service business and I want to do my invoicing and appointment corrections/setting and as much work as possible while on the road.

Any suggestions/advice from from any of the journeymen roadwarriors in the club would be greatly appreciated!

I have just ordered Laptop stand/mount, I use the iGO Everywhere MAX power converter.

I am looking for advice on a Mobile Printer.

Advice on any power issues with a mobile office<like> I was told to use a direct (fused) line to the battery and avoid using the cigarette lighter/ACC power outlets.

I was instructed that I should use the cheapest mobile printer I can find because of shock they don't last. (disposable printer?) lol

And any other complications that may arise with a mobile office that a first timer would not know until it was to late.. (ounce of prevention and all that)

Thanks Jeff

Also, are there any cooling tweaks I can/should do seeing as the laptop will be in a truck in sunny Central FLA? maybe run a temp monitor? if any one has a link?

Yes I am still a n00b...

Edited by Renigade

Ok. Let me specify a bit more.

Can anyone advise me on a reliable Mobile printer? From what i was told they do not last long due to vibrations..

Is there anyone that uses their vehicle as a mobile office?

Should I be concerned about Power issues using my 12v Power outlet/receptacle in the truck 7-9 hours a day. if so would it be better to just run a direct fused line from the battery. I already have a deep cycle battery and a heavy duty alternator. Because I run a 12volt pump for my spry rig in the back on a direct fused line from the battery.

Edited by Renigade

Well on the cooling part if you have the windows down or the ac on it should be ok. If you leave the truck sealed up tight put the laptop to sleep or it will over heat. I use a cobra 400 watt inverter that plugs into my 12V power point it offers 2 120W outlets and a usb port. I cant help on the printer as i don't use one in my f-150. I use a wireless mouse since I don't have a laptop stand to keep mine near me it sits on a fedex box in the passenger seat. I wish I could be more help but alas my knowledge isn't the greatest as I don't have the parts you have.

Thanks Bishop:)

I am going to get one of those fold out windshield shades as well. I was not sure if there was software or a setting in my laptop that would automaticly speed up the fans if the temp started to get to hot.

The stand I ordered comes with 2 cooling fans so it should be ok, but I still worry about stupid stuff like that.

Yeah I don't close the windows unless it starts to rain, then I would have to close the lid so it will sleep.

From what I have heard from other F150 owners is that the power points have been know to cause some shorting near the fuse box if the wires get pinched at all during excessive use. Though no one has been able to specify "Excessive" in terms of amps drawn. Just that it happened with running a laptop, printer, cell charger and GPS charger.

I have an 07 F150 extended cab. So I think I will just go ahead and run a direct fused line from the battery to a converter, seeing as I will be running all of the above.

I just figured this would be a good place to ask, I assumed that a there would be a few people here that have had experience in setting up a mobile Office.

I am just nervous seeing as the info on my laptop is my livelihood. I just don't like uncertainty, and I prefer to avoid any potential problems before they occur. My time is limited as a DBA business owner. I do keep it backed up online and with my home NAS. Also I do a monthly HD image with Acronis.

Guess my next stop will be to talk to a shop that sets up police cars.

Should I post pics and a step by step for a "Mobil Office Build" ?

Edited by Renigade

Thanks Bishop:)

I am going to get one of those fold out windshield shades as well. I was not sure if there was software or a setting in my laptop that would automaticly speed up the fans if the temp started to get to hot.

The stand I ordered comes with 2 cooling fans so it should be ok, but I still worry about stupid stuff like that.

Yeah I don't close the windows unless it starts to rain, then I would have to close the lid so it will sleep.

From what I have heard from other F150 owners is that the power points have been know to cause some shorting near the fuse box if the wires get pinched at all during excessive use. Though no one has been able to specify "Excessive" in terms of amps drawn. Just that it happened with running a laptop, printer, cell charger and GPS charger.

I have an 07 F150 extended cab. So I think I will just go ahead and run a direct fused line from the battery to a converter, seeing as I will be running all of the above.

I just figured this would be a good place to ask, I assumed that a there would be a few people here that have had experience in setting up a mobile Office.

I am just nervous seeing as the info on my laptop is my livelihood. I just don't like uncertainty, and I prefer to avoid any potential problems before they occur. My time is limited as a DBA business owner. I do keep it backed up online and with my home NAS. Also I do a monthly HD image with Acronis.

Guess my next stop will be to talk to a shop that sets up police cars.

Should I post pics and a step by step for a "Mobil Office Build" ?

I have no idea how good this is but take a look

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=m...ed=0CB4Q8gIwAg#