OCC Folding Guide

sdy284

Hey guys,

I'm creating a comprehensive [email protected] guide that will show you how to get the max amount of points from your CPU/GPU. It also touches on the common reasons people don't fold (money, heat, hard on hardware)

I just wanted to ask you all if there was anything in particular you wanted to see in the guide, or had any issues / questions you want answered.

Multi gpu and smp stuff I aint real sure about but have read some stuff on each I think i may be smart enuff to install folding on my gtx285 and 8800 gtx at the same time but i tried the smp stuff and never got it running right so thats where i need the most help

Run multiple threads of folding on the i5 and i7. and AMD Phenom II X6 Hexacore processors.

I think road-runner had a thread for this somewhere.

Edited by OwinC

Run multiple threads of folding on the i5 and i7. and AMD Phenom II X6 Hexacore processors.

I think road-runner had a thread for this somewhere.

Not that I remember, but with the new 6.29 SMP windows client all you need to do is use the -smp flag, it will load all cores up to 16 cores I believe, or you can tell it how many to use with -smp x, x = number pf cores you want it to use. In Linux and mac you need a minimum of 8 cores to get the big work units with bonus points, the server will not assign them to you with less...

Not that I remember, but with the new 6.29 SMP windows client all you need to do is use the -smp flag, it will load all cores up to 16 cores I believe, or you can tell it how many to use with -smp x, x = number pf cores you want it to use. In Linux and mac you need a minimum of 8 cores to get the big work units with bonus points, the server will not assign them to you with less...

or a quad with HT ;)

I never was a fan of SMP, I'm old fashioned and open up a seperate console window for each core (though I hear you can only run up to 8 threads with this method....but thats 2 more than I need)

and you're missing out on a lot points as a result ;)