How to verify Turbo Boost working / speed on i920

What can I use/do to verify my Turbo Boost is working and at what speed? (core i920)

I see Intel has this 18Mb program... but it seems like bloatware to verify something that seems fairly simple.

I use modeling and rendering programs that combined are smaller than their tool :blink:

Edited by 3DCGdesign

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you should be able to use program that will allow you to see your clock speed.

While looking at the clock speed of the processor run some sort of stress testing and see if the cpu speed increases.

thanks!

between cpu-z 1.54 and real temp's most recent beta 3.58.1 I think I got it.

what should I be expecting for speed with the turbo boosted core?

currently it's going from 2.66 to 2.8 which is quite underwhelming.

(I'm benchmarking current system to prepare for overclocking)

Download prime95 and run torture test on 1 thread and then check with CPU-Z,right click on core and switch between core 0 to core 3 and you will find witch one is on turbo boost.

With Intel Turbo enabled you get one extra multiplier (i.e. the stock multiplier for the i7 920 is 133 bclk*20 cpu multiplier for 2.66Ghz). When you enable Turbo mode you get 133 blck*21 cpu multiplier for 2.79Ghz.

thanks!

between cpu-z 1.54 and real temp's most recent beta 3.58.1 I think I got it.

what should I be expecting for speed with the turbo boosted core?

currently it's going from 2.66 to 2.8 which is quite underwhelming.

(I'm benchmarking current system to prepare for overclocking)

Im not sure what you could expect. But in your bios you may have an over clocking for dummies

or some sort of ocing tool that you just enable and do nothing else. I think you can get as high as 3.1-3.2 ghz.

Just be careful and watch out for high temps. They come with increased speeds and voltages.

Edited by dling

I tried using Turbo and I found it better to turn it off and just have a constant 21x multi rather than 21x all cores / 22x single core turbo

For modelling/rendering, you want the maximum all cores speed, so I would highly recommend forcing the 21x multiplier in the BIOS so that you have the full speed all the time for all the cores

I "had" been using turbo function and never given much thought to only one core clocking to the turbo level. Based on your experience I've hard set the 21 multiplier and disabled the auto multiplier function. I'll bet there is a little bit of performance improvement to be had by overclocking all four cores instead of just one :)

Thanks for sharing.

hmm, okay here it is.. Intel has removed a gadget which is free to download and works like a charm, letting you know when and where turbo boost is being used.

Yea, the gadgets name is Intel Turbo Boost Monitor.

You can download from Intel..

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...p;DwnldID=18353

I hope this is what ur looking for...

post-25614-1271194875.jpg

Edited by get_saif

all you need to see if Turbo Boost is working is to open CPU-Z and watch the multiplier/speed under load...

I use i7Turbo to check throttling (sometimes, on some boards/BIOSs/overclocks, the multiplier is slightly less than the whole number, e.g. 21x is actually 20.7x)

My max OC with Turbo enabled (i.e. 21x multiplier, with 22x Turbo mode) is a fair bit lower than my max OC with Turbo disabled (i.e. 21x all the time)

I'd guess Turbo mode would work a lot better if you had it set at 20x multi, and the Turbo mode engaged the 21x multi (which is much more stable than 22x)

Thanks for all the recommendations, guys! :)

yes, I stumbled onto the i7Turbo app in the Real Temp package... and was quite happy.

I then disabled turbo for my o.c. :D i7Turbo now refuses to open, so I know it was working. ;)