No need of Cabinet :)

Hmmmm, as i am waiting for my motherboard to come back from RMA, I was thinking of having an open setup..

Thinking of getting rid of my cabinet setup and go in for an unclosed setup direction..

Well as this is the first time i am going to be trying this, i wanted some suggestions regarding it, could not find many pics on the internet to check them out, or may be i was not inputting the right key words to search them.. Any of you guys on the same type of setup ???

It would be cool to share some point off view, as to how to give the base for the mb, and so on... I would love to see few pics :) if some one can post it...

Any info regarding it will b helpful... Any disadvantages also welcomed :)

Edited by get_saif

Well, I got the itch for one myself. I looked at a few of the Startechs (and they were sweet) but I felt it was my duty to build my own. I got the iron at Home depot and welded it up with the Startech's measurements. Put Plexi on the top and bottom, drilled and tapped the top piece for micro atx and standard atx motherboards, put a jig on the back because I have broke pci express slots in the past without them, :blush: (also drilled and tapped for up to 8 slots, the bracket on the back is for the H50 or any other radiator that can be mounted there and the bottom was lined with a 1/8 inch foam sheet that I got at Hobby Lobby. I painted it metal flake red, mounted a power, reset, and hd light on the left side on mirror plexi with power cables sleeved and heat shrunk for tidiness and the HD cage off an Antec 300 my boy monster trucked with his skateboard showing me a new trick in the house. I cut a hole in the bottom of the top shelp for ease of HS chang out too. I probably spent $30 and 1 weekend on it but it was worth it!

CIMG0120.jpg

I will post the pics as soon as the motherboard comes back..

I have dismantled the cabinet into "L" shape.. Went and got 33x16 size wood material..Have done the mounting of the L shape on the wood.. 4 hours spent..

Will update 1nce everything is done...

my mobo-on-box might look a mess, but it had me with 3rd place 7800GT SLI in the world for a while, so it was bearable while I built my case and watercooling :D

the actual disadvantage isn't the appearance but rather the susceptibility to damage if something falls on your rig, so you can't be clumsy or let children or fools near your computer lol