Sign in to follow this  
Jump4h

Metaphorical system build

I am going to have a project in my school about building a computer. Since every one in my class is a non-geek, I will explain how the various components work by using the human body.

As In:

The CPU is the BRAIN, as it does all the thinking

the Case is the skin and bones, at it protects the inner organs

the GFX is the Eyes

The RAM is our temporary memory

the HDD is our long term memory

Motherboard ?

PSU ?

Audio Card ?

DVD reader?

Suggestions of the things I havent figured out yet / improvements over the things I have figured out would be really great. Thanks!

Edited by Jump4h

I am going to have a project in my school about building a computer. Since every in my class is a non-geek, I will explain how the various components work by using the human body.

As In:

The CPU is the BRAIN, as it does all the thinking

the Case is the skin and bones, at it protects the inner organs

the GFX is the Eyes

The RAM is our temporary memory

the HDD is our long term memory

Motherboard ?

PSU ?

Audio Card ?

DVD reader?

Suggestions of the things I havent figured out yet / improvements over the things I have figured out would be really great. Thanks!

PSU's the heart

Motherboard's the nervous system

Audio Card's the ears?

If one were to think of a computer as a living being, you need only think of your interactions with it as person to person.

For instance, the graphics card does not take in input, it only outputs, so it is more of a gesture-based/visual form of communication, not eyes. Eyes would be more like a webcam, as that would take in visual data of you & surroundings.

Audio is similiar, but it can both input and output, so speech and hearing.

the motherboard then would be the circulatory system, providing paths for data to flow through the system.

Likewise the PSU would be the heart, pumping electricity through the system.\

Dvd reader, can be thought of as hands and eyes, with the DVD being a book or paper, or some such.

If one were to think of a computer as a living being, you need only think of your interactions with it as person to person.

For instance, the graphics card does not take in input, it only outputs, so it is more of a gesture-based/visual form of communication, not eyes. Eyes would be more like a webcam, as that would take in visual data of you & surroundings.

Audio is similiar, but it can both input and output, so speech and hearing.

the motherboard then would be the circulatory system, providing paths for data to flow through the system.

Likewise the PSU would be the heart, pumping electricity through the system.\

Dvd reader, can be thought of as hands and eyes, with the DVD being a book or paper, or some such.

I agree,, the video card is not the eyes.

What would the peins be? A leaking liquid cooling tube?

:D I am only using these metaphores to explain how the computer works, not the human being. I would have several missing points if that were the case, such as legs etc :DD