VGA vs HDMI

00stevo

So i went to the carphone warehouse and got myself a samsung tocco lite along with a samsung 32" HDTV.Link for TV> http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audi...type=prd_detail Anyway coming from a 22" 1080p monitor i can see the quality is not as good,but will it improve if i connect it through HDMI? My 360 particularly looks worse through this tv(its connected through vga also)

Depends on your HDTV if it supports HD via VGA. Some might only give you 720p via VGA. Best bet is to use a HDMI cable anyway, you'll get better quality and a full 1080p. Just trying to help. $6 - $10 via Newegg.

I've got three 28" 1080p monitors and one 42" HDTV. HDMI for all of them. VGA = outdated.

Edited by El_Capitan

?

Doesn't VGA support 1920x1080?

Yes it does. My monitor is 2048x1152 and I've hooked it up by VGA before without any problems. I have even, because I could, hooked up my computer to it using both DVI and VGA, and compared the image quality. The DVI was a little sharper along text edges, but not jump off the screen sharper.

VGA is capable of HD, just as component video cables are. HDMI and DVI are digital and have some advantages from that, but those may not be too noticeable. Depends on your eyes.

It is worth noting though that your new TV is not 1080p, it is 720p (native resolution, 1366x768, according to the link you gave). That may explain why the 360 looked better on the 1080p 22" TV.

Well through CCC the max res i can set is 1360x768,so maybe somethings amiss.But regardless i'll try out the HDMI cable tomorrow and let you guys know how it turns out.Cheers for the replies.

Well through CCC the max res i can set is 1360x768

You'll probably find that you can use 1366x768 with VGA only, and running native resolution eliminates qualtiy degradation from image scaling...

Even on 1080p TVs, a lot of them will scale (overscan) the 1080p signal on HDMI so it isn't running pixel-for-pixel unless you manually force a 1:1 resize mode

On a half HD set like you have, I would run it with VGA @ 1366x768 so that at least games won't be scaled... and movies would be scaled on the PC...

quality improves a whole lot when switching cables

most vga cables are poorly made and receive all sorts of interference to begin with

when you add on top of that, a long cable to reach a TV you are asking for trouble

HDMI/DVI is the way to go