Which motherboard should I get, really lost

So I am building my first PC and it is going to be a i7-930 build. I have bought the processor and the ram (OCZ gold low voltage 6gb @1600 mhz). I am really confused on which motherboard I should get, I have looked around and found couple of them but can't decide on which one. I have looked at the evga x58 3x sli (the one with the lifetime warranty), Asus P6t, or Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r. I found the evga board for $214, asus for $200, and gigabyte for $180. I want something that would work with my memory as I have heard about compatibility issues. I will do some overclocking to see how it is, want to reach 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible.

Thanks

So I am building my first PC and it is going to be a i7-930 build. I have bought the processor and the ram (OCZ gold low voltage 6gb @1600 mhz). I am really confused on which motherboard I should get, I have looked around and found couple of them but can't decide on which one. I have looked at the evga x58 3x sli (the one with the lifetime warranty), Asus P6t, or Gigabyte GA-x58a-ud3r. I found the evga board for $214, asus for $200, and gigabyte for $180. I want something that would work with my memory as I have heard about compatibility issues. I will do some overclocking to see how it is, want to reach 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible.

Thanks

Same reply to your other thread. If you're only going to overclock it to 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz, you can buy my motherboard for $100. smile.gif

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=174444

Anyways, there's multiple things to look for in a motherboard that supports your needs.

1. Overclocking - just about any x58 motherboard out there will support overclocking to 3.6 GHz (with the right thermal compound and heatsink/cooler - never use the stock heatsink with Intel CPU's for overclocking).

2. Memory compatibility - same thing, just about any x58 motherboard out there will support DDR3 memory, depends on the memory. REALLY depends on the memory. Most people on Newegg don't know what they're doing. Their memory probably works, but they're setting something wrong in their BIOS settings.

3. SLI or Crossfire and Bandwidth support - if you're not going to SLI or Crossfire, ever, don't worry about it. If you are going to, then x16 x16 or x16 x8 or x8 x8 is fine. Some people are critical about having x16 x16 over x16 x8, but there's hardly much loss.

Write a long article on what you're going to do with your computer, and what your plans are for upgrading... that should help us help you.

What I will be using this PC is for some gaming, photoshop, and general use.

CPU: i7-930 bought from microcenter

Mem: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 / 1600 MHz /Gold Edition / Triple Channel Kits (6GB, bought already)

Video Card: XFX HD 5770 XXX edition--> newegg has it for 170 with shipping (newegg has the one that is not overclocked also for the same price, just want something that is bang for buck. Will crossfire another one later on)

PSU: I was thinking either Corsair HX650 or XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition ( I want something modular just cause of the cable management, will 650 be enough for overclocking and crossfire?)

Case: Either Thermaltake V3 black edition or Gladiator 600 (how many fans do you recommend putting these cases to have adequate cooling??)

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster hyper 212 plus

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

DVD: LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA,(OEM)

Memory Card Reader: any suggestions?

Motherboard: I was having difficulty deciding between ASUS P6T/P6T SE or EVGA X58 3X SLI (the one with lifetime warranty). I found the EVGA for $214 after BCB and ASUS ones for $200 after BCB (not SE one)/$170 after BCB (SE one). I was just confused because on some forums people have problems with the memory I have with these boards, I really liked the EVGA board and plus I heard they have good support and comes with lifetime warranty.

Thanks in advance