i7 build, need some advice on parts

neuro1

Hi, I wanted to ask for your input on my first PC build. What I will be using this PC is for some gaming, photoshop, and general use. I have bought some components already and have to buy majority of them. If you could tell me which of the components will be good that would be great. OK here we go:

CPU: i7-930 bought from microcenter

Mem: OCZ DDR3 PC3-12800 / 1600 MHz /Gold Edition / Triple Channel Kits (6GB, bought already)

Video Card: XFX HD 5770 XXX edition--> newegg has it for 170 with shipping (don't want anything to hardcore just something bang for the buck)

PSU: I was thinking either Corsair HX650 or XFX P1-650X-CAG9 650W XXX Edition ( I want something modular just cause of the cable management)

Case: Either Thermaltake V3 black edition or Gladiator 600

CPU Cooler: Either Coolermaster hyper 212 plus or Thermaltake Contac 29 or Dark Knight (I want to try to overclock, never done it and would want to do it for a overclock of 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible with these coolers)

HD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM

DVD: LG GH22NS40 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA,(OEM)

Memory Card Reader: any suggestions?

Motherboard: I was having difficulty deciding between ASUS P6T/P6T SE or EVGA X58 3X SLI. I found the EVGA for $214 after BCB and ASUS ones for $200 after BCB (not SE one)/$170 after BCB (SE one). I was just confused because on some forums people have problems with the memory I have with these boards, I really liked the EVGA board and plus I heard they have good support and comes with lifetime warranty.

I was also wondering if you guys could recommend case fans for my case, want to have adequate cooling.

Any help would be appreciated, if you can help me narrow down from the parts I have that would great.

Thanks in advance

it think u should go for Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 it has USB 3.0 and SATA 3 and its a good overclocker or u could go for the Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R same feature but less price

Gladiator 600 is a very good case i have built my cousins pc with that one.

i can see u want a budget cooler ,the best i can think of is sunbeam 120 core contact freezer or Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme these both are great for overclocking especially the tuniq

the best case fans which are silent are the Noctua NF-P12 and its 53 cfm

Sunbeam 3.5" Superior Panel Black this is nice it has two channels for fan control and Memory Card Reader.

Hope this Helps

Edited by joel.monteiro

You pretty much figured out the hard part, but you're asking for the simple ones? ASUS P6T is a GREAT board, USB3.0 is a fraud. The CPU cooler, PSU, etc that you have listed on your first post are GREAT. Plus i'm sure that 5770 will overclock very well, so you'll notice 10-12% difference in some particular games if you overclock it high enough. Just make sure you get higher revisions on that ASUS motherboard because there is ALOT of reviews out there overclocking the i7 processor with that board that you can just easily look at and do yourself. Good Luck!

thanks for the help. So I shouldn't get the EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI, but instead go for ASUS p6t even though there is only about a $15 difference between the boards (plus for that much isn't it worth to get lifetime warranty). With the evga board is there going to be any compatibility issues with the ram? What is the advantage of going for USB 3.0, when are usb 3.0 drives will be available? So from the 5770 I have selected, the one on newegg is already overclocked, should I get that one or the one without the overclock because they are the same price.

Thanks

USB3 is currently a fraud, but you shouldn't be buying the board for USB3 (at least not at the moment).

SATA III on the other hand is NOT a fraud, and makes the Gigabyte boards that much more valuable/future proof/flexible. 2xSATA III ports and 8xSATA II ports make an irresistable feature-set IMO, especially when paired with the rest of the board.

Asus makes a good product as well, but for me the value lies with Gigabyte.

CPU Cooler: Either Coolermaster hyper 212 plus or Thermaltake Contac 29 or Dark Knight (I want to try to overclock, never done it and would want to do it for a overclock of 3.4-3.6 ghz if possible with these coolers)

If you're only going to overclock it to 3.4 GHz to 3.6 GHz, you can buy my motherboard for $100. :)

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=174444