New concept of hard drive performance?

Chadwick0

ok this may or may not have already been thought of, i have no idea, but i thought i would see what other opinions have to say about a possible new concept of how traditional hard drives perform.... mainly because right now SSD is out of reach and non-practical for some people. so here goes..

I understand RAID and how to set one up from scratch, never had any need for it though yet. Plus it can be quite difficult for those new to technical terms and PC use, this idea is geared towards budget and regular users with basic expierence, i fall somewhat into that category in some ways myself.

Now on to the point of subject..... An independent program OR special feature built into games and/or resource demanding programs that takes the data load and divides it up among two or more hard drives so that the games or programs can access different bytes, megabytes, even gigabytes of simultaneous information, causing it to be accessed and transported faster. In a nutshell, cause NON-RAID systems to use traditional drives to keep up with the faster CPU's and RAM on the market today without having to fully dedicate thier available drives to the RAID configuration. Obviously the available drives would have to provide adequate free space, a simple creation of a temporary folder on the other drives, and possibly their own partion for the data execution. but making new partions is easy and can be learned easily.

Im sure it would take some in depth programming way beyond my comprehension, and as stated, may have been thought of already. IF this is a good idea, by all means those capable of such programming feel free to have at it, and please no answers of "use RAID moron". that would be redundant.

Edited by Chadwick0

as in Redundant Array of Independent Disks?

hardware specific programming is really going back to the old days... remember hardware specific games (specific model graphics card, sound card, etc.)?

hardware abstraction (not requiring specific programming) is a fundamental benefit of modern OS functionality, and of application development

as in Redundant Array of Independent Disks?

hardware specific programming is really going back to the old days... remember hardware specific games (specific model graphics card, sound card, etc.)?

hardware abstraction (not requiring specific programming) is a fundamental benefit of modern OS functionality, and of application development

I might be a little young to remember that, 23 now, but i was in fact referring to an alternate method of the Redundant Array of Independent Disks. You do make a very valid point and maybe my idea isnt as practical as i originally thought.

Programming is one thing ive never gotten involved in and when i've tried it, it would be way over my head, I do better with networking and hardware, sorta, im a quick learner with that stuff. I just had a brain storm earlier.