Noob- first build

ontoptherock

Ok, so i say i am a noob, but my dad went to school for computers and i have learned a lot from him, as well as i been browsing the forum for some time now. But in reality this is my first build. It is a budget conscious build, looking to spend no more than $550. keep in mind i already have the case and power supply. I got the Antec 200 S and a Antec 550W modular PSU. The rest of my build is as follows:

ASRock 890gx extreme 3 or ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3

AMD Phenom II x2 555 BE

G. Skill 4Gb DDR3 1600 CL9

Kingston SSD V series 64Gb

Sony Lightscribe DVD burner

Let me know your guy's opinions. Mind you like i said this is a budget build in a sense and thats why there is no discrete GPU and i am using the onboard graphics. I dont use my computer much for gaming, it is mostly a workstation and basic computing needs. (email, web, and Photoshop)

Edited by ontoptherock

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get a regular 1TB HDD(maybe a 500GB) instead of that SSD, you'll get more out it than that SSD, and if your not doing anything super heavy on photoshop I would say get an Athlon x2

My thought process is to use the ssd as my boot drive, and then i plan on getting a HDD , probably like a 640GB or so. I was going to wait till i got more moeny though. And i really planned on using the Pheonom II x2 because of multitasking. skype while gaming, if i dual boot. right now the computer i am using is a 5 year old dell inspiron 6000 laptop with a 1.6 Ghz celeron M. and when i use skype i literally cant use anything else on my compuiter otherwise it freezes up. Also i do [email protected] been using my PS3 for now though. is the Athlon still good fro all this. if so i wouldnt mind getting it, because i know it will save me some $. thanks for the suggestions.

The Athlon II's are very good CPU's despite all the Hype about the Phenoms, dont get me wrong Phenoms are still better in their own ways. The decision your really faced with is a four core athlon can cost about the exact same as a two core phenom. I just recently built an athlon 620 x4 system and it ran great at first then i decided to overclock, it unlocked L3 cache and performance was barely if at all noticeable, the real notice was goin from 2.6 Ghz to 3.0 Ghz, now that multi cores are popular, programs will start being targeted to use all cores, so more will eventually become better. So my personal suggestion is the Athlon II 635 x4 @ 2.9Ghz stock. No L3 but with fast DDR2 or DDR3 RAM you will be fine for games and any programs you use. Also most reviews for the 2.6 athlon 620 say its not good for crysis, Mine runs awesome with settings one notch below maxed out. and thats with the ATI HD 4650 1GB DDR2 video card. So against all odds i was on a budget and made sacrifices and still made out with an exceptional machine.

one other question. i know with the two motherboards i am looking at i can possibly unlock the two extra cores in the phenom (if i am lucky enough) but i havent seen anything about the possibility of unlocking the athlon's L3 cache. how is this done, usually by the ACC in the bios of the 7xx series chipset right?

your finalized build didnt include which CPU you went with (the rest sounds good) but to answer your question about overclocking... be careful, only raise the CPU clock ref by small increments (1-3) at a time. use stabilty testing, I like AMD overdrive to tell me all my numbers and such. The overclocking tool built in overclocked my ram too high so i went back to manual BIOS settings after wiping out what AOD did (also it has to be saved and applied at every boot-up through AOD). Although i only tried it once and im sure it works good for other people, it does take a long time though. searching reviews for your exact cpu should give you reference info but keep in mind alot of those want to OC the cpu as high as possible. I have a stock cooler and want mine to last some time so i went to 3.2 GHz before temps became an issue, backed it down to 3.0 leaving everything on auto except ACC (yes used for unlocking cores and cache, (*which is not stable or present in all models*) Ref clock at 232x13, locked multiplier, otherwise multiplier is usually used for OC'ing. RAM is on auto but using ref clock raised it to 464MHZ. One mistake alot of people make is dual channel 800Mhz ram does NOT display 800 in program readings. it is 400x2, thus "dual channel". Im sure the same applies to 1066 dual, (533x2). Mine is running at 464x2 @2.1v. every brand and models are different, some cpu's and RAM cant be overclocked at all. Its just terrible to read people saying theyre RAM sucks cuz it only runs half the speed its supposed to, this subject should be covered more often for new users. Your system may vary in many ways and im sure other people would have better detailed advice, i'm not going to include stuff i dont know much about but if you come up with specific questions include some details and I will periodically check this forum. If i have good advice i'll give it, If i dont know i'll say "I dunno", its a common answer i give my girlfriend for just about any subject!! so im good at "i dunno". be absolute sure to !take your time! and know what your doing while building, thats the most important part of it all!

Oh and my athlon is now at End Of Life, meaning not in production anymore, chances are they wouldnt unlock cache anyways cuz the Denebs were only used for a short period and labeled Propus. yes the 785 and up chipset is used for that. Also AMD wants MOBO makers to stop making the BIOS with ACC function. Mobo companies found a way around that, they've started making boards with a physical switch on the board to tap into any "hidden" resources, AMD should just give up and let users do what they want, it brings in business and producing many CPU's based on the same Cores, Dies and Silicon should be what keeps they're costs down, but appearantly its not. I do give them credit for trying to build a factory somewhere in New York, Its been approved but we'll see if "American Micro Devices" becomes somewhat American. I've always liked AMD due to the fact that every AMD machine i've ever used has been stable, and froze much less than any Intel machine i've ever used. Plus the price is far from worth it for Intel. Not to offend Intel lovers but being broke and annoyed all the time isnt my favorite thing.

I did end up going with the Phenom 555, for two reasons. One being that right now dual is all i need, but if i can unlock it to a quad, well then i will be one happy owner. and secondly since the multiplier is unlocked that should be mostly the only thing i should need to mess with rather than messing too much with the voltages and adjusting the speeds on everything (ram, NB, etc). i am expecting to get everything from newegg either monday or tuesday, so now its the waiting game. Not oing to lie, i have done a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos but i cant help but feel a bit anxious about putting this build together.

Not oing to lie, i have done a lot of reading and watched a lot of videos but i cant help but feel a bit anxious about putting this build together.

you'll be fine if you read your motherboard manual in conjunction with this thread

as simple as it sounds remember to have all the nesecary power connectors attached to everything. a friend of mine built a computer once and spent hours trying to work out what wasn't working. he forgot to plug in one of the power connectors to the motherboard :closedeyes: