will cheap Nvidia cards work as dedicated physX card

just wanted to know if any cheap Nvidia cards (GT220, GT240 etc.)will work as dedicated physX card with a gtx295 and if it will make any difference at all to performance (iv never had a dedicated PhysX card so im a noob at this)

I have tried that, even with xfx 8600gt and gt 240, i dint find any difference, i found the same play with each one solo.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman...sylum,2465.html

It depends on the game and hardware you're using, but there are very obvious and measurable differences when using a dedicated physx card in games that offer physx support.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/batman...sylum,2465.html

It depends on the game and hardware you're using, but there are very obvious and measurable differences when using a dedicated physx card in games that offer physx support.

A GTX 260 is a far cry from a GTX 295. The 295 is already scaling in SLI mode so I would not read anything into what is linked here expecting the samething its not going to happen. Your performance with the 295 is already exceeding anything you would get from adding another card so Ilikecheese don't waste your money.

minimun specs for hardware physX is 32 shaders. So GT220 and up will work fine, though you probably wont really notice a difference with that 295, unless you're running a really high res.

I'm running a 9600gt for physx with my Radeon 3870, and i noticed that FPS pretty much doubled in hardware PhysX supporting games, like Batman:AA(~20fps->~40fps, specifically), at my native res of 1920x1080. (Yeah, i know, time for a gfx card upgrade haha). Though my fps increase is attributed to less CPU load, as the 3870 cannot run physx, so it runs on the CPU. But since you're running a gtx295, physx is already running on it, so you might see a bump of a few fps if it's offloaded to a dedicated card, it's probably not worth it, unless you can get the card for cheap :P

A GTX 260 is a far cry from a GTX 295. The 295 is already scaling in SLI mode so I would not read anything into what is linked here expecting the samething its not going to happen. Your performance with the 295 is already exceeding anything you would get from adding another card so Ilikecheese don't waste your money.

thanks mate il give it a miss for now then.

Bosco is on the money as usual; there will be no noticeable difference and you should save your $$$, but I was specifically responding to the person I quoted in my post (the one with an 8600GT and GT240). Enjoy your 295!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I have not experimented with this whole dedicated physX card thing. I am currently running dual 5870's in CF. I have a 640MB EVGA 8800 GTS laying in a bin collecting dust. Would I see any kind of performance increase if I use it as a dedicated physX card or not? Also do I just install the card and drivers like normal, or is there something additional you need to do in order to get this kind of setup running properly?

Thx in advance