New Build - ASRock or ASUS

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't ASROCK like an off brand spin off of ASUS? So if that being true (or if I read that correctly on XS forums a while back) you'll be getting quality either way. ASROCK just won't have all the dings and whistles like ASUS does. BUT on a side note, whether I am right or wrong on the ASROCK/ASUS deal, that ASROCK seems to be a rockin motherboard never the less. There's a thread on it in the AMD section.

I use an Asus M4A785-M, so far all has went well and smooth, Smallest thing is if the Cmos or Bios gets reset for one reason or another the Bios will not find the boot drive on its own, probably my configuration or just how it is, very easily corrected and most likely common among any brand. Asus was advised to me by a friend who builds PC's for people all the time.

Isn't ASROCK like an off brand spin off of ASUS? So if that being true (or if I read that correctly on XS forums a while back) you'll be getting quality either way. ASROCK just won't have all the dings and whistles like ASUS does. BUT on a side note, whether I am right or wrong on the ASROCK/ASUS deal, that ASROCK seems to be a rockin motherboard never the less. There's a thread on it in the AMD section.

ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS, but this shouldn't be taken into account, as these are two very different brands. That being said, I'd suggest whichever one fits your budget best.

I currently use both. My first ASRock was DOA but the egg replaced it and the new one has worked fine. I've also had issues with Asus boards lately which may keep me from buying them again. Long story so I won't bore you with the details.

lol actually that thread is what turned me on at first to the ASRock board. before i read that thread i was 100% for the ASUS board. but ever since i read that thread, i dunno something about the ASRock board draws me to it. Plus it has all the same features as the ASUS for less, a fraction less but still. money is money.

Ok guys, so after much thought and deliberation i have decided to go with the ASRock 890gx board. For two reasons mainly. one the extra 20 dollars allowed me to spend that money else where on my build, and two i figure being a first time builder i have no pre-conceptions about any one company, so with that said i figured i would give ASRock a chance to win me over as a customer. This board has everything the ASUS has even with some extras. the one down side i did see however was the QVL for the ASRock is smaller than the list for the ASUS. Not sure how many of you actually follow the list but i figured for my first build i didnt want to take any chances. The rest of my components are as follows, comment if you like:

Phenom II x2 555 BE (crossing my fingers for an unlockable one)

OCZ Vertex sereis 30Gb SSD

G. Skill 4Gb DDR3 1600 CL9 memory

WD Caviar Blue 500 Gb HDD

Sony lightscribe cd/dvd combo

... good build?

ASRock M3A780GXH/128M for my AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE. Great board for the price.

ASRock x58 Extreme for my Intel i7 920. Great board for the price.

Unlike others, never had to RMA my motherboards, maybe I'm just lucky?

However, I just ordered the ASUS P6X58D. Hopefully it's a great board, because the price is $140 more!

looks good! don't forget to get a good quality power supply. And don't worry about the QVL at all.

i got an antec 550w modular PSU from what i have been told antec is a trusted name when it comes to power supplies.. and if i would have known that about the QVL i would have gotten some memory that would have matched my board lol jk :rolleyes:

Edited by ontoptherock