Grease Monkey, Firefox and Chrome

kendellrt

I have recently looked into the power of the Grease Monkey add-on for Firefox. I really like the Greasefire add-on that allows you to see what scripts are available on the web page that you are currently on. That being said, I have also begun to use Google Chrome, also. The newest version of Chrome supports the installation of userscripts without installing a Grease Monkey extension.

Here are my questions for all of you:

Which browser do you prefer, and why?

Which add-ons/extensions do you use, and why?

Which Grease Monkey userscripts do you use, and why?

And, finally, do any of you know of a way to sync userscripts, extensions, etc between computers and/or browsers? I currently do this with bookmarks via Xmarks (formerly Foxmarks) to sync bookmarks among Safari, Firefox and Chrome on both my desktop and laptop.

Firefox:

Tiny Menu

Xmarks

Yahoo! Mail Notifier

Download Statusbar

Clippings

Greasemonkey-

I had a crap-ton of scripts before I switched over to Win7, I totally forgot to copy them all over...

:(

Right now all I'm running is:

Reddit Comment Live Preview

Reddit Uppers and Downers Enhanced

Reddit Zebra-izer

Reveal Password on Mouseover

a few others...

How do you copy over the gm userscripts?
Hmmmm, I'm not even sure...

EDIT:-

This folder:

X:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\X.default\gm_scripts

All of mine are in there.

:)

Hmmmm, I'm not even sure...

EDIT:-

This folder:

X:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\X.default\gm_scripts

All of mine are in there.

:)

So do you just copy over the folder? One issue that I have is that I am using Mac OS X. I just want to be able to sync it all together so that if I find a good one at home I can apply it to my laptop for when I am at school, etc. Maybe BigRed or Kash would know about the particulars of OS X. I love my Macs, but I certainly know the ins and outs of Windows better. Win7 is incredible! I beta tested it and felt it was rock solid when it went to RC. I started using it as my primary OS even that early.

Firefox:

Tiny Menu

Xmarks

Yahoo! Mail Notifier

Download Statusbar

Clippings

Greasemonkey-

I had a crap-ton of scripts before I switched over to Win7, I totally forgot to copy them all over...

:(

Right now all I'm running is:

Reddit Comment Live Preview

Reddit Uppers and Downers Enhanced

Reddit Zebra-izer

Reveal Password on Mouseover

a few others...

I also forgot to mention I don't even understand Reddit. You'd think I would, but I guess nobody knows everything.

So do you just copy over the folder? One issue that I have is that I am using Mac OS X. I just want to be able to sync it all together so that if I find a good one at home I can apply it to my laptop for when I am at school, etc.

I don't use Chrome or Firefox on OS X so I'm not sure about keeping the two synced between the Windows version. Lifehacker has this post about keeping all of your Firefox data in sync.

My guess is if you looked in ~user/applications/chrome.app or firefox.app you would see basically the same directory structure as in Windows. From there it should just be a matter of automating the move between the two. A lot of Mac users will use rsync or unison.

I can look into this more, but it will probably be Wednesday afternoon before I'll get a chance.

I also forgot to mention I don't even understand Reddit. You'd think I would, but I guess nobody knows everything.

Reddit is the cheap looking version of Digg... or the craigslist digg... or the Kmart digg...

I don't use Chrome or Firefox on OS X so I'm not sure about keeping the two synced between the Windows version. Lifehacker has this post about keeping all of your Firefox data in sync.

My guess is if you looked in ~user/applications/chrome.app or firefox.app you would see basically the same directory structure as in Windows. From there it should just be a matter of automating the move between the two. A lot of Mac users will use rsync or unison.

I can look into this more, but it will probably be Wednesday afternoon before I'll get a chance.

Reddit is the cheap looking version of Digg... or the craigslist digg... or the Kmart digg...

Thanks d3, I appreciate it. I have looked into the file structure in OS X and the extensions and add-on data is stored in the home folder under library/application support/*Firefox* or *Google/Chrome* I created a couple of aliases in the sidebar in my Finder window that links to those directories, which I can then use to easily copy and paste from one machine to the other, depending on which one has the latest changes that I've made. I would still prefer to have an easier way of doing it, though. I use MobileMe to sync my MacBook, iMac and iPhone together with Xmarks installed on Safari, Firefox and Chrome to keep my bookmarks uniform between all of the browsers and each computer. The pain in the butt is that when I find some add-ons, extensions and userscripts that I really like, I have to manually add them to whichever computer I just so happened to not be using when I found them.

EDIT (14April2010): I really have to thank you, d3, for the Lifehacker link. The article is a bit dated, but the Windows Live Sync service they are talking about has actually improved and had more features added to it. It is completely free now, and it is doing what I need it to, just in a sort of round about way. I have been able to activate the service on both of my computers and it syncs the directories that I instruct it to automatically with the newest data available between the two. The only drawback is that the user account you have it activated on must stay online for the service to sync.

Edited by chavalcito